Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Slice of Life 2018 Day 20: Living in a Poem

"Your Life is a Poem" by Naomi Shihab Nye
About three years ago, I started regularly listening to podcasts on my iPhone. Podcasts are typically what keeps me company as I fold clothes, cook, or do the dishes. And if I can manage it, I listen to podcasts when I walk one of my dogs. One of my favorite podcast to listen to is On Being, hosted by journalist and author Krista Tippett.

The On Being Podcast hosts a variety of guests, including poets, authors, activists, and spiritual leaders. No matter the topic, I find that I always benefit from listening to the conversation between Krista Tippett and her guest. I record lines I want to remember in my writer’s notebook and am thrilled to discover new books to read or ideas to consider. Last week Thursday’s guest was poet Naomi Shihab Nye. Although this episode originally aired in 2016, I loved listening to it again and thinking about Naomi Shihab Nye’s work in a deeper way.


In the beginning of the podcast Naomi Shihab Nye shared her belief that she feels we are all living in a poem. She explained that when she visits classrooms she often writes this phrase on the board, “you are living in a poem.” In addition, she shared how she finds poetry to be organic and that we all think in poems. As part of a conversation in sharing with children the ways in which we live in a poem, Naomi Shihab Nye says, “...when you think, when you’re in a very quiet place, when you’re remembering, when you’re saving an image, when you’re allowing your mind calmly to leap from one thought to another, that’s a poem. What’s what a poem does.”

What an exquisite thought.


And these two lines of Naomi Shihab Nye especially resonated with me as I was listening to this episode:
  • “If you know words, if you compose, you might want to share them because they’ll have a bigger life if you do that.” 
  • “The story that you would be telling to yourself about the street, even as you walk down it, or as you drive down it, as you look out the window, the story you would be telling-it always seemed very much to me, as a child that I was living in a poem that my life was the poem.”

Since I listened to this podcast again last Thursday, this line has spooled in my mind, “you are living in a poem.” I cannot express in words how much I love this concept - living in a poem. It makes me want to savor my thoughts more and remind myself that my thoughts can be crafted into poems.


In thinking about living in a poem, and as I walked my dogs early Monday morning, these were a few lines mulling in my mind:


I anticipate yesterday’s warm breezy air as we
emerge early this morning:
me and my canine companions.
Yet cold chills my neck, numbs my face.
Immediately I return inside for my insulated coat,
winter hat, and
mittens.
Bare branches project against street lights,
trails of road salt snake on sidewalks,
and steep snow piles remain on edges of yards-
reminders that winter still remains.


How are you living in a poem today?

10 comments:

  1. I love your slice, On Being, and Naomi Shihab Nye. I also relistened when that episode was rebroadcast, but different things resonated with you, which made it extra interesting reading your thoughts. I was interested in her memories of growing up in Ferguson and I couldn’t wait for her to read “Kindness,” which is one of my favorite poems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! "Kindness is also one of my very favorite poems." I have it hanging up at school! I missed the first time that she was from Ferguson - it makes her so much more interesting.

      Delete
  2. This slice is just what I needed today! I battle constantly with an inner voice that tells me I have nothing special to say. The concept of living in a poem is the perfect antidote! I'm off to listen to the podcast episode. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I have that same battle with my inner voice! It is my worst enemy! I am glad to share the concept of living in a poem - it is an idea that will stay with me for a long time

      Delete
  3. I love that line: "We're all living in a poem." I didn't realize On Being has a podcast. I read the On Being newsletter occasionally. Your poem is wonderful. I'm listening to the Naomi Shihab Nye episode and hoping for inspiration for my speech classes and the spoken word poems I plan for them to write later this trimester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want write "We are all living in a poem" for my students some time and see what they think...

      Thank you for the complements about the poem, and you will have to let me know what you think about the On Being podcast. There is also a great episode by Mary Karr that I especially adore.

      Delete
  4. O thanks for the reminder - I have not listened to On Being for awhile. I need to get back to that. I love Naomi Shihab Nye and this line of living in a poem is great. I want to put that in my writers notebook as well. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also a devoted podcast listener though rarely have time to get through all my favorites, so I'm a sporadic listener of "On Being." But I knew I had to listen to the Naomi Shihab Nye rebroadcast, and after reading your post yesterday, I moved it up to the top spot and listened on my drive home. It's a good thing there are no other cars on the road because I had to pull out my notebook many times to write down words or lines or entire quotes. So good! I'm hoping to do a found poem from it, though it's not yet coming together in the way I want. I loved reading your post here and seeing what resonated with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I listen to podcasts in the car, so I can't write down things I love. I wish there was an app that let us bookmark spots in the podcast to come back to later. I'm looking forward to listening to this podcast. Someone recently sent me the poem "Kindness" as a possibility to use for an interfaith evening of prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of living "in a poem." I am starting to look ahead to April and wondering if I might be able to do something with this line. Hmmmm. And I want to listen to this podcast!

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...