Tuesday, April 3, 2018

SOL Tuesday: Crumbs

Since April is National Poetry Month, for Tuesday's Slice of Life I decided to share a poem I wrote thinking about my grandma, who is 94 years young next week. I wrote this free verse poem about in June of 2016, but I haven't shared it publicly before: 

Crumbs

Every day is a good day if you have it,
Sounds like something that Grandma Geanne would say.
At nearly the age of 92
She drops these pieces of wisdom
In soft, casual conversation-
Quickly, easy to miss
If you’re not paying attention.

Over buttered graham crackers and milky tea she comments,
In almost a whisper:
“Find a crumb of joy
Every day.
No matter how small.
My dear Trina, when life seems dismal,
It will keep you going.”
She steals a glimpse of Grandpa Art’s
Faded memorial bulletin, still carefully tacked to the
Square cork board near the telephone.  
Her slender, frail hand brushes mine.
And her phrase lingers
As towheaded, chunky hands dunk cookies in fragile porcelain doll cups
Filled with Land o'Lakes milk
From a tiny white wooden table and two painted chairs-
Crafted in 1949 by Great Grandpa Olin for Mom.
(The very same table and chairs I used as a small child.)
Toddler cousins exchange giggles,
With milky mustaches and sticky, chocolate smudged hands.
Grandma clasps her hands to her mouth,
Folded almost as a prayer,
In adoration of her great granddaughters.

Those crumbs-
The bits I neglect often.
Daily.
Find that joy, Trina.
After all, so many things depend on perspective.

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet poem, and what good advice from your grandma. My mom is 90 and suffers from dementia, so there is no more advice coming my way from her, but my siblings and I always find one of her sayings coming out of our mouths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words paint such a clear picture of your grandmother. I especially love her words and the way the end of this poem echos them in your mind. Having a positive outlook is not a genetic trait in my family, so it's something I work on daily.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...