Monday, March 11, 2019

March Slice of Life Challenge Day 11: Earbuds

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers



March Slice of Life Challenge Day 12: 
Earbuds 


Have you seen Lois Beckwith's The Dictionary of High School B.S (Zest Books, 2008)? It's a fun little book of snarky high school definitions, written to provide a bit of humor to the high school adolescent. 


Using an entry from The Dictionary of High School B.S. as my mentor text, I came up with my own entry (about something that drives me bonkers as a teacher), written from the perspective of a high school teacher:

Example entry from The Dictionary of High School B.S. 

earbuds
(n.) 1. a small, useful and lightweight device that acts like speakers to wear inside your ear so you can listen to music, audio books, or gaming anywhere. 2. a great way to easily block out any freshman drama or ignore office announcements in the hallways. 3. in some cases, a fantastic way to ignore what teachers are saying during a mini lesson - plus easy-to-hide underneath long hair or a hoodie. 4. a more subtle way to play Fortnite in class.  


This is a great mentor text for students to have fun with - the opportunity to play with topics and words and humor! 

What would your entry be about? 

7 comments:

  1. This is fantastic. Those air buds drive me nuts, too. I used to have students create a dictionary of slang modeled on Ben Johnson’s (Ithink) snarky definitions. Haven’t done that in years. Maybe it’s time to resurect it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an interesting to read. Your mentor text is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am buying this book. Thank you for the post! My favorite line - "in some cases, a fantastic way to ignore what teachers are saying during a mini lesson" - love, love love it! So true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an intriguing mentor text to use in class! I need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this as a mentor text - and earbuds are a great choice - argh! What would I choose? What would I choose? Maybe bathroom breaks? Something about the bell and how you are clearly supposed to stop working 5 minutes beforehand... possibilities loom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this as a mentor text too. So clever! I definitely want to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes all you can do is try to laugh about it. Or write a technology violation...

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...