Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Slice of Life: Finding my Path

Last September I left the house and neighborhood that I had lived in since 2001. Although I moved to a charming new-to-me neighborhood (less than one mile from my old house) and I still lived in the same city, I felt as if I moved into a whole new community. I didn't really know any neighbors. I didn't have a dog to walk anymore. When my kids were with me, they didn't necessarily want to venture outside. I didn't have a familiar walking route anymore.  

I felt lost. 

For at least the next two months, with the exception of taking my daughter Trick or Treating on Halloween, I only left my house for work, church, to run an errand, or to rake or shovel snow. Fall has always been my favorite season, but this year I found myself literally watching the season change from my window. 

I was lost.

Sometime in early December I decided that enough was enough. I missed not knowing the neighborhood I lived in. I missed being outside. Like it or not, I needed to make some changes. I needed to get back outside and walk. I've known this about myself for a long time - being outside is a great way for me to feel alive - no matter my mood or what's currently happening in my life. 

I needed to find my path again.

So I began small. Over the course of several days, I walked bits at a time - first venturing a block or two, then fifteen minutes. I explored different routes, and I found great delight. I even started catching sunsets againSoon I was walking regularly and daily again - at least thirty minutes. 

This month I found myself waking early again, just to walk.

Walking outside had been my normal routine for years. It made sense that I needed to get back to out. Returning outside felt good for so many reasons. I met new neighbors and developed new friendships. I felt more comfortable living in my neighborhood. Perhaps most importantly, I began noticing my outdoor surroundings again. This stood out from this morning's walk: 
  • the crunch of ice beneath my feet, 
  • warm hues of sunrise, 
  • birds flitting from feed to ground, searching for seeds,
  • faint train whistles,
  • owl hoots,
  • and even the rustle of branches against my coat. 
Monday's sunrise


It turned out that seeking new paths brought me a lot of joy. 

Walking outside continues to heal my soul. 





Looking to connect with a positive, supportive online community? Consider sharing a slice of your life with Two Writing Teachers. All writers are welcome! 

6 comments:

  1. Trina, I really happy to see you blogging again. I too love to walk, but the cold winter deters me. I need to bundle up and get out. “I needed to get back to out” us my favorite line. Beautiful photo. Let the healing continue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walking is a physical exercise. I find it also to be a mindfulness practice. Happy to see you back here. Happy that you feel more at home in your new place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post spurned all kinds of parallels to my own life. I moved a couple of years ago, but it was not until I started to walk the "new to me" neighborhood that I really started to belong to my new home. There is something "healing" about physical movement. There is also something comforting about finding a new to you path where you can forge ahead. Keep moving, first one step and then another as Tommie DePaola would say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you took the bull by the horns to get oriented. You made it happen!

    We moved last year too! It's been a journey to get acclimated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad for you that you finally got out and around in your new neighborhood. Walking is so refreshing and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I connected with your yearning for time outside; as a librarian, I don't even have recess duty to breathe fresh air during the workday! Walking your neighborhood is a wonderfully refreshing way to settle in. I'm looking forward to learning more about your surroundings and experiences in a new home!

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...