Saturday, March 14, 2020

Slice of Life #20 Challenge Day 14/31: Slow Down

Slice of Life #20 Challenge Day 14/31:
Slow Down

Last night, as I was mindlessly scrolling Facebook, I noticed a post from my friend Jamie in which she shared how the COVID-19 pandemic was forcing her family to slow down. Her boys, dedicated student athletes, are suddenly without their normal commitments. She remarked how their family must practice social distancing

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this since I read Jamie's post.

In a matter of hours yesterday, our overwhelming and busy March family calendar went from full to practically empty. My daughter's recital was canceled, as well as her remaining classes and rehearsals. School events and meetings are canceled. Plays and other school performances are canceled. Our next Girl Scout meeting is even canceled. Social gatherings are canceled. 

Perhaps social distancing will be a blessing. We will be forced to slow down. I will be at home more. When my kids are with me, we will be together more. I won't be running around as much and rushing to be on time. We will all have a different kind of lifestyle. 

Yet, I am reminded:
  • We have many books to read.
  • We have many board and card games to play.
  • We have many puzzles to put together.
  • We have treats and dishes to bake and cook.
  • We have art to create, projects to sew, stories to write.
  • We have conversations to have. 
  • We have some time to linger...with each other.

Perhaps we will find joy and delight in spending more time together.

Perhaps my family needed a slow down.

Perhaps I needed a slow down. 



Looking to connect with a positive, supportive online community? 
Consider sharing a slice of yourlife with Two Writing Teachers
All writers are welcome! 

7 comments:

  1. I love your perspective on this! Maybe everyone needed to slow down and reconnect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's true there are times when we need to slow down. Sounds like your schedule was very busy. I hope you enjoy some slow family time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your list of possible things to do when slowing down and being together. It is strange to look a the empty calendar though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make lemonade out of lemons! Always a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love the perspective you've taken here and your list has inspired me to think about how I can slow down over the next few weeks too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the list of things to do together. I’ve thought much about how life will change for many and think this forced togetherness is a blessing and an opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The best thing I like about your slice is you never mentioned once that we need a device to keep the family entertained. You are creating an opportunity to bond an even more that before if that's possible. You have a great list of fun things to do TOGETHER! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...