Saturday, March 12, 2022

Slice of Life #22: Day 12: Missing School

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers. 


Slice of Life #22: Day 12/31: 
Missing School

Friday was a rough school day. Due to a planned medical procedure, I had to take two days in a row of sick days this week. Although I left detailed sub plans and worked from home as much as I could while I was out, I began Friday morning frazzled. That feeling did not cease for the whole school day.

My substitute was good and even left me a short note that my students were great. (Even better, I was grateful that I didn't have a sub failure and did not need to rely on my colleagues to take over.) It looked like most of my students followed directions and some were productive when I was gone. Score! 

Several of my students wanted to know where I was and why I was gone. They were concerned that I was gone for two days. One of my freshman students even told me that she was nervous that I would be gone for the rest of the week. 

It felt good to be missed. 

I have been teaching for over twenty-two years. I know how to effectively prepare for a sub and what to expect when I return. Yet, it is still difficult being out of the classroom. 

Looming over my head is the knowledge that my absence means that I will need to do a lot of catch up this weekend in order to be ready to go on Monday.

I know, friends. I'm preaching to the choir. 

6 comments:

  1. It's so hard to be out, but it is nice to be missed! I have taken one personal day this year, and I chose to take it on a day we were virtual to limit disruption. Of course with medical procedures, we don't have a choice! I hope you're feeling better and that you can still take plenty of rest this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always so hard to be out...2 days in a row leads to other complications! I am glad that you had a good sub...they can be hard to find. We have few subs in our district and have resorted to splitting up students into other rooms for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure it warmed your heart that the kids missed you and were concerned for you. Don't worry about Monday, you will handle whatever comes up. Rest up and enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being away is so, so hard, and, honestly -- when things go well, I am relieved, but a little part of me is upset because it means my students didn't need me. I am replaceable. But that's kind of weird...I am glad you are feeling better, and I hope you have a great Monday. I find I always need a few days to get into the groove.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are teachers who take preparing for subs seriously and responsibly. There are also teachers who leave minimal instructions. There are subs who follow plans to detail and are creative in problem solving. There are others who do what they wish even with detailed plans. Once out, the teacher has to let go and accept how things are and focus on oneself. Easier said than done. I hope you take good care of your physical, mental and emotional health. Everything else will work out somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s so hard to be absent. I don’t know how chronically absent teachers do it. You should take the weekend off. The work will still be there. Your comfort and health are more important than paperwork. You know you’re doing a good job when the kids miss you.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...