Thursday, March 3, 2022

Slice of Life Challenge #22: Day 3: Cribbage Challenge

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers. 


Slice of Life Challenge #22: Day 3/31
 Cribbage Challenge

For as long as I can remember, my mom and dad have been avid Cribbage players. They often played with friends at gatherings. There was always a Cribbage board nearby. 

Sometime in my youth, my mom tried to teach me how to play. When I was a senior in high school, some friends tried to teach me Cribbage. It never stuck

Thinking back, the first time I learned how to play Cribbage I wasn't very patient. I didn't like all of the rules, especially when it came to determining points. (Fifteen - two, fifteen-four, a pair for six, a pair for eight. Don't get me started on how to count a run.) And then there was that math thing - the quick addition and the embarrassment of constantly counting on my fingers. No wonder I gave up so quickly.  

For me, the only thing that really stuck about Cribbage was that it had something to do with the number fifteen and that you moved the pegs. Not enough knowledge to play.

Recently, I realized that I missed out in learning how to play Cribbage. So many people I know love to play cribbage, including my parents. Last weekend, when my boyfriend Steve came to visit, I asked him to teach me how to play Cribbage. To my delight, he agreed.

I dug out the Cribbage board from the shelf that houses all of our family games. I blew off the thick coating of dust and opened up the Cribbage box. To my surprise (or maybe not, knowing my household), all of the pegs were missing. Steve and I improvised - we found some wooden toothpicks, colored them with magic markers, and used them instead.

The dusty Cribbage board all cleaned off

Our Cribbage "pegs"

Steve did a great job teaching me how to play Cribbage. He was patient with me, even with my slow counting and confusion with scoring. Most importantly, I had fun. 

This time, I think learning how to play Cribbage stuckI cannot wait until we play again. 

In thinking about my recent Cribbage lesson, I wrote a haiku below: 

Cribbage pegs missing/
substitution of broken/
colored wood toothpicks. 

Do you play Cribbage? 

5 comments:

  1. I love this! It's always cool when we revisit something from our past and find our opinions on it have changed. You made me want to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me curious. I have never heard of this game. I think we sometimes miss out on some fun because we might not have the patience to listen and learn. How wonderful that you had another chance with this game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t play cribbage. As you say, too much math, and I don’t know anyone who does play that game, except you. I’ve always wanted to learn to play Bridge. I might need to learn cribbage now. I wonder if YouTube can teach me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cribbage! Ha...when I just spelled out the wored it totally did not look like. Maaybe I should write next about how cribbage and cabbage look similar- lol. It is my spacey day feeling.
    My family is really big into Sheepshead. I never took the time to learn that card game. I am not sure if I will ever have the right time to learn with them. They play on Mondays in Green Bay. But maybe one day I will get the itch.
    So this means maybe one day we should have coffee and play cribbage and catch up! Summer time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny, I know the name but that seems to be all. Does it involve cards, too? I enjoy a good, challenging game but with all the scorekeeping, this might not be the one for me. Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad you finally found your entry.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...