Monday, December 3, 2018

Haiku-A-Day December Challenge #3: Light

I am joining Elisabeth from The Dirigible Plum in writing a Haiku-A-Day during the month of December. Please let me know if you are posting a Haiku-A-Day too! I would love to read your work.  

Haiku-A-Day December Challenge #3: Light 

I teach in a mostly windowless high school building. Although I am thrilled to have my own classroom this year (many of my colleagues travel between two or more rooms), it bothers me that my classroom does not have any windows. Besides the daily walk back and forth from my mini van to the building, the only time I am exposed to natural light is when I supervise in our lunch room. 

Especially on chilly winter days like today, I long for streams of natural light. When I think about it, I am in a better mood and have more energy when I am bathed in natural light. 

Perhaps natural light would make a positive difference to my students as well.

I wrote today's Haiku under my humming florescent bulbs in my classroom:

Windowless classrooms -
sterile. Artificial light
zaps learning hunger.

2 comments:

  1. Yet another innovation that makes you wonder WHAT THE HECK: the windowless classroom. When I first started teaching high school, I took the place of two teachers, one of whom had a windowless classroom. I was so happy to be able to remove the wall and get some light into that back classroom! (My students also loved having a double classroom--so much nice space to spread out when reading!) I really like "zaps" here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This school was built over 50 years ago, and I am sure that there was a specific reason in the building design...I just don't see it!

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...