Thursday, December 6, 2018

Haiku-A-Day December Challenge #6: Noticing Birds

I am joining Elisabeth from The Dirigible Plum in writing a Haiku-A-Day during the month of December. Please let me know if you are posting a Haiku-A-Day too! I would love to read your work.

Haiku-A-Day December Challenge #6: Noticing Birds 

Earlier this year I read a beautiful memoir called Birds Art Life: A Year of Observation by Kyo Maclear. Goodreads describes it as, "A writer’s search for inspiration, beauty, and solace leads her to birds in this intimate and exuberant meditation on creativity and life—a field guide to things small and significant." 

Although my dad is an avid bird watcher and photographer, I gained a deeper respect for bird watching as I savored Maclear's work. I adored reading Maclear's memoir, especially in how it reminded me that one does not need to travel or see something exotic in order to write something amazing. Great writing comes from first noticing what's around you. 

I thought of this as I wrote today's double haiku:

I've never recalled
a day without bird sighting- 
no matter weather.

Appreciation
for daily simplicity.
Birds enhance city.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...