Thursday, March 21, 2019

March Slice of Life Challenge Day 21: Dare to Lead

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers



March Slice of Life Challenge Day 21: Dare to Lead


Over coffee, pancakes, and omelets at a popular local eatery, I met two friends to discuss research professor Brené Brown's newest book, Dare to Lead

Good food, hanging out with friends, talking about books. This is my happy place.

Over two hours passed while my friends and I dug in discussing Brené's work; her current research embraces the following three big ideas in brave leadership:
  1. You can't get to courage without rumbling in vulnerability. Embrace the suck.
  2. Self-awareness and self-love matter. Who we are is how we lead. 
  3. Courage is contagious. 
I believe that there is so much value in studying (and practicing) courage and vulnerability. Even at work (and yes, sometimes that can feel really terrifying). Following the three above big ideas, I can intentionally work on showing up each day as a better human being. 

Shortly after I returned from my book study, I wrote. A few days later, I circled back to my thoughts in my writer's notebook and penned this ABC Poem:

Taking time to
Understand how
Vulnerability 
Works

Requires conversation, connection, and reflection. 

7 comments:

  1. I so miss the professional book club I was a part of at my old school. There are so many wonderful opportunities to connect, share and support one another in these groups. I need to find a way to bring that to my new school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is courage in leadership...and sometimes that looks like showing up every day and doing the work, being honest about the difficulties and asking for help when needed. Thanks for the reminders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my book club too. We just met this week. It is great to talk with people you respect about a book read. Ideas are explored, thinking is pushed and laughter is always along for the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the important reminder that courage and vulnerability go hand in hand. It applies to leadership, to the writing challenge, and to everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brene's work has been like a lighthouse for my growth as a leader and a person. This book was one of the nudges for me to choose "Dare" as my one little word for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you that food, friends, and books are the recipe for a perfect morning. Love your ABC poem and these words that the work you are doing "Requires conversation, connection, and reflection." All things that take time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brene Brown is truly inspirational. Thanks for the reminder to order that book!

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...