Saturday, March 9, 2019

March Slice of Life Challenge Day 9: Blackout Poetry Fun

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers



March Slice of Life Challenge Day 9:
Blackout Poetry Fun


Blackout poetry, another form of found poetry, is a fun way to play with words. Using a page from one of my favorite professional resources, I Read It But I Don't Get It by the phenomenal Cris Tovani, I created this blackout poem:

Infer
Use background knowledge
with textual evidence.
Lift up words.
Think beyond the pages
Find deeper meaning.

Look for clues.
Analyze
thinking.
Unlock the door. 

(Don't worry, I would never deface Cris Tovani's work unless I was annotating. I used my black sharpie on a photo copy.)

10 comments:

  1. I love to do black out poetry as a means of summarizing and am ALWAYS amazed at what they find/deem important.THanks for the reminder

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just unlocked the door for new ideas! I had never thought to do black out poetry on a professional text. Your poem, spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Well done. I've never tried it beginning with a text like this. You definitely created a powerful message about inferring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love black out poetry and echo what Anita wrote. It's also fun to take the word you held on to, and then try to write something of your own that they spark, so it's more than just the collection of found words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would never think to use a PD text for blackout poetry! Definitely saving this idea for later in the month (or at least next week, when I'm back at work and have access to a copy machine!). "Lift up words" is a line I love. Thanks for this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PD poetry. Wouldn't it be fun if PD texts were in poetic form more often. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love using blackout poem on texts I love and having students do this, too. Great poem!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this form of poetry. It produces great poems from reluctant middle school poets. 😝

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've done black out poetry on fiction, but never a professional book. GREAT idea! Wonderful poem by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love blackout poetry - I even have a text chosen that I want to use as a poem. I love that you did this with a pd text - makes me think about how important it is that we distill our learning - and the poem you created really does distill Tovani. Great slice.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...