Sunday, March 8, 2020

Slice of Life #20 Challenge Day 8/31: Cemetery Stroll

Slice of Life #20 Challenge Day 8/31:
Cemetery Stroll

I am fortunate to live by a lovely cemetery. Why yes, reader, you read that right. Fortunate. 


Although I understand that cemeteries creep out many people, I love walking through our cemetery. It's always quiet, the paths are nearly always clear, and above all, it gives me a sense of peace. 

As I wander, I often wonder about the histories of the people no longer with us: 

  • What stories could they tell me about my city, community, and neighborhood? 
  • What wisdom could they share with me? 
  • What secrets were buried?

On an afternoon walk through the cemetery this afternoon, I penned this Haiku:

City history./
What secrets lie within soil?/
Stories whisper here. 




Looking to connect with a positive, supportive online community? 
Consider sharing a slice of yourlife with Two Writing Teachers. All writers are welcome! 


3 comments:

  1. Cemeteries are fantastic places to walk. I remember walking through one a couple years ago to find poetry inspiration. You are lucky to live near a cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I don't think it's morbid at all. I love that you saw a writing opportunity here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading the tombstones and then imagining what the people may have been like. I especially love the very old stones. Your haiku is spot on....I wonder if we can hear the whispers if we are quiet enough?

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...