Monday, March 9, 2020

Slice of Life #20 Challenge Day 9/31: Personal Reading Revealed

Slice of Life #20 Challenge Day 9/31:
Personal Reading Revealed

"Hey, can I tell you something really personal?"

"Yes, of course," I answered M., wondering what very personal thing that she was going to share in our busy senior-filled classroom. At times my high school seniors have NO filter. 

"I was always behind as a reader. I could never get up to the letters I needed to be at, " said M.

"Oh, me too!" A., the classmate sitting next to M., piped up, "I was forever stuck on H." 

"That was actually me as well. We didn't have letters then, but I was always assigned to a colored group based on my reading level. I never felt like I was a good enough reader, all throughout most of elementary school and junior high. That's a hard thing to get through," I said. 

A. and M. nodded. We all seemed to collectively sigh. 

"But I actually like to read now," M. revealed, excitedly showing me her latest read, Zac and Mia.



"Me too," said A. She held up the memoir A Stolen Life

"Me three," I responded and showed them my current read - Habitudes

Our class of high school seniors got settled into our independent reading time. It was mostly quiet, cell phones put away. 

This conversation compelled my reading heart to practically burst with joy. These are the conversations that remind me why I make independent reading a priority with my high school students, even my seniors in second semester. 




Looking to connect with a positive, supportive online community? 
Consider sharing a slice of yourlife with Two Writing Teachers. All writers are welcome! 

7 comments:

  1. I love this conversation. Way to bind w/ students. Way to inspire and empower their reading lives. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is why levels are useful for teachers but NOT good for students if students think they are a level or a color. Hopefully, we'll get back to looking beyond letters after 2nd grade. Students need to read to learn to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a mother of two high school students, I love that you give them this time! The love of reading fostered by wonderful teachers is SO important. Thank you for doing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't think of anything better than conversations like this! It's by far my favorite work as a teacher--helping students find the time and the books they need to become readers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your students are so lucky to have that time and choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy to read this! I always try to remind myself that if reading doesn't click with some of my students (grade 2 and 3) that is not the end of the world. They have plenty of time to become readers. The sooner the better...but eventually is good too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so wonderful that you have independent reading time for seniors. Your use of dialogue was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...