Friday, March 5, 2021

Slice of Life #21 Challenge Day 5: Ultimate Frisee Golfer

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers. 

Slice of Life #21 Challenge Day 5: Ultimate Frisee Golfer

I wave. He waves. We each exchange a smile. "Good morning!" "Good morning!" 

When I am out on an early morning walk, I usually pass the same man playing frisbee golf at our neighborhood park.

I admire his tenacity. We live in Wisconsin, not exactly an ideal climate to play frisbee golf all year round. Yet, most mornings, especially when there isn't more than a few inches of snow on the ground and the temperature is above zero, he is out on the course. He often has on snow pants and boots on the course. Even on windy days, when we are both bundled up, he is working on his throw. 

I have never asked him his name. He has never asked mine. I'm not sure if he lives in my neighborhood or in a different part of town. I don't know what drives him to play early in the morning or anything he does beyond frisbee golf. However, I feel an odd connection since we find ourselves in the same park nearly every day at the same time.  

"Have a great day!" One of us usually remarks to each other. It always seems to be a genuine comment. 

He makes me ponder about people who are present in my life who I have a causal connection with. 

Who are the people you see each day but don't really know? 


12 comments:

  1. This is a lovely example of politeness and friendliness between beautiful strangers. Makes life nicer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I agree - definitely makes life nicer!

      Delete
  2. I see my interactions with many of my neighbors this way. We wave, say hello as I walk by with my dog. I wish I knew more of them by name though. Maybe I'll start asking people their names...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought the same thing - the power in asking people their names.

      Delete
  3. With so much isolation over the past year, little interactions like these have kept me going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me think of levels of "knowing" because you know his persistence without knowing his name. And his identity as a frisbee golfer in the winter. So he is not a stranger, but not YET a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Levels of knowing... there are a lot when you think about this! I often think about the levels of "knowing" people based on reading their blogs.

      Delete
  5. This should be the basis for a picture book, Trina. I can see your lovely photos and curiosity generating connections and humanity among children. I can see you walking and freeing people w/ whom you have a casual connection and writing haiku about them. It would be lovely. You have such a keen sense of observation.

    BTW, my son plays disc golf in weather like that. Boggles my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a generous compliment, Glenda. Thank you!

      Maybe it's a disc golf thing??

      Delete
  6. That connection is the familiarity, something in the day that remains constant and pleasant, and welcome in times when so much is in turmoil still. Your words stir images in my mind that feel poetic (if that makes sense). Such a beautiful photo, too - a great place to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is definitely welcoming. I like that there is kindness like this between strangers in our otherwise chaotic world.

      Delete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...