Thursday, March 4, 2021

Slice of Life #21 Challenge Day 4: A Walk to Remember

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers. 


Slice of Life #21 Challenge Day 4: A Walk To Remember

"Want to take a walk with me? We don't have to go far. Maybe just around the block."

"Okay." I was surprised that she agreed. 

My twelve-year-old daughter and I laced up our sneakers, zipped up our coats, and put on our hats and mittens. We headed out the back door to take an early evening neighborhood walk. 

As we walked, we chatted a bit about school, about friendships, about what it was like when I was in seventh grade, and we even talked about our pets. 

"Oh, look at the sunset, Mom!" 

"So pretty. I love how the colors are so vivid. I should take a photo of that."

"You are going to blog about that, aren't you?" My daughter teased. 

"You know that I am obsessed with sunrises and sunsets. If I can weave it into a blog post, I might as well!" 



We continued to walk, this time for a bit in silence. Our walk ended up lasting about thirty minutes, much longer than a walk around our city block. 

As we approached our house, my daughter quietly said, "I want to start taking more walks with you, Mom. I like the fresh air. I like our talks. It helps."  

Although I have a good relationship with my tween, moments like these are not always common with my daughter. This walk I want to remember.  

10 comments:

  1. I giggled when I read, “ You are going to blog about that, aren't you?” She has your number. My heart melted when she said she wants more walks w/ you. ❤️ Gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She definitely knows how I work!

      Delete
  2. I love walks with my children. Drives in the car use to do the same thing. Always a time to talk and share thoughts. So glad you got to have this time with you daughter. I love the sunsets. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right - drives in the car can do the same thing. Talking with my children is the best

      Delete
  3. She asked to go for walks with you. What a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this gentle moment. Our children appreciate opportunities to be listened to and truly heard. A request for more walks and talks is a lovely sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I believe that we all appreciate opportunities to be listened to and truly heard

      Delete
  5. Nothing better than hearing a request from a twelve year old who wants to walk more with her mama! I love the way this walk included talk, a sunset, some comfortable silence, and request. Moments to treasure for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For my son, it's definitely the car where we can have these special conversations about nothing and everything. I'm so glad she said yes and that she enjoyed it so much she wants more walks! And what a beautiful sunset.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...