Thursday, March 10, 2022

Slice of Life #22: Day 10: Paint Chip Poetry

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers. 


Slice of Life #22: Day 10: 
Paint Chip Poetry

Have you ever heard of Paint Chip Poetry? I must have been inspired from a Slice of Life fellow blogger last year (or even the year before). I bought it and never tried it... until yesterday. 


It's marketed as a game, but I think that it is really about word play. You can play by yourself or with others. I played solo.

The concept is fairly easy. You select twelve paint chip cards from the box. Then you pick a prompt. You play with the words. Finally, you share out what you created. You can use the words, apply the colors to your creation, or add your own words. I like that you can use as few or as many of the paint chips as you like. 

The first time I played I came up with this:

I could see doing this again and perhaps using this with my students or in a future Literary Club meeting.

In what ways have you used Paint Chip Poetry?




6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this!!! Putting in my cart now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Paint Chip Poetry. I have the game and used it w/ students before retirement. Now I use it in my own when a prompt in my poetry group necessitates it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have the game, but love to pull up paint chip sites and wander among the colors. I wrote paint chip poetry for a couple of my grandsons. Maybe it's time for me to catch up with our latest arrivals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's fun. I have never used it/heard of it. I could see this being used in our common class we teach as a competition for a fun little activity as to who can create the best poem. But the words are right there for them- so it's a little more approachable. Or right now we are talking about mood in the story, so thinking who can make a certain mood with the words they pulled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this in my cart but have never bought it. Maybe I need to check it out again. I love dappled sunlight! Dandelion has always been my favorite color of crayon (which they no longer make!), and this looks close to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to collect paint chips with evocative names--and now I want this game--mostly for the prompts. We're going to be writing a lot of poetry over the next month, and I think paint chip poetry would be a great way in to poetry for many of my students. Also, your poem is so lovely. Stealing that prompt FOR SURE.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...