Monday, March 14, 2022

Slice of Life #22 Day 14: Life Equations

 For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers. 


Slice of Life #22 :Day 14/31:
 Life Equations

For several years now, I have been a fan of the late Amy Krouse Rosenthal. When my children were small I used to read them This Plus That: Life's Little Equations. I have fond memories of the life equations we made together. Four years ago my daughter and I wrote some life equations. You can read about it here

In reflecting on this past week, I wrote a few of my own life equations.

(homemade breakfast) served to me - clean-up = happy, grateful girlfriend.
One of the breakfasts Steve made me this weekend.


(wool hat + mittens + park) X sunrise = peaceful morning walk.
A view from one of my morning walks this week.

(purring Herbert + childhood quilt) - school work = lazy afternoon.
Herbert snuggling on my lap.


Have you ever tried to write a life equation? 

9 comments:

  1. I thought it was going to be about Amy's book! What a great idea for a post -- I learned so much about you in just 3 equations. I think this could be a good topic generation idea for young writers. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I do adore your equations. Especially the breakfast! I may have to borrow this idea soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am an AKR fan. I miss her brilliance. I think there’s a recipe poem formula that is similar to life equations. I might need to try these. i have some ideas. I love the way you share these w/ your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No I haven’t and now am interested to. I love yours and the accompanying photos.

    Heidi (Book Dragon)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Amy's Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life, but want/need to buy Textbook. I like how you used equations as a reflection on the week. I have written them before but have forgottn about this idea. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the equations of life. I have used this idea with older students in a writing workshop model and love how it forces us to think of our environments as parts of a whole. Great slice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never tried but this seems like a fun exercise. I totally agree with the breakfast one! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooh! I may use this for some caption writing I have planned with my students this week. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these equations! I feel these shorter posts take longer to write because you need to be thoughtful in your word choice. Great slice.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...