Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Slice of Life #22 Day 15: Mother and Daughter Walk

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers. 


Slice of Life #22: Day 15/31:
Mother and Daughter Walk

"Mom, can we go on a walk?" My thirteen-year-old peeks her head through the doorway. I am just finishing up my nightly FaceTime chat with Steve. My pajamas are already on. I am nestled under my quilt ready to snuggle into my book. The last thing that I want to do is get dressed and take a walk so close to bedtime, yet it is rare that my teenager requests to do anything with me. 

Of course I oblige. 

I pick up my jeans off the edge of my chair, grab my sweatshirt from the edge of my bed, and I quickly dress. My daughter is already waiting outside for me. It's still a bit chilly, so I layer on my jacket and snatch my hat and mittens. 

We walk for nearly 30 minutes around our neighborhood, chatting about all kinds of topics, such as friends, school, our pets, and an upcoming trip to see relatives. We talk about what I remember eighth grade being like and how self-conscious I was in high school. She tells me about a recent book she read. I tell her about what I have been reading. As we return to the house, she thanks me for taking an evening walk with her. 

It's has been a rare, uninterrupted time without any kind of technology - just talk. It is the kind of mother-daughter time I crave the most.  

When I turn in for bed that night, my heart is so full. 


3 comments:

  1. This piece was written in such a heartfelt way. I'd encourage you to have a hard copy filed away somewhere...this would surely be a treasure for your daughter in the future! Love the final line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, how I remember those days! What wonderful mother-daughter time you had. It was well worth getting out of bed for that walk and conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ❤️❤️❤️ You are an amazing mother, Trina. In my mind I’m taking that walk and having that talk. It’s such a perfect ending for the day, Some day your daughter will remind you of this walk. She will cherish it as I know you do. *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...