Saturday, March 4, 2023

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 4/31: Progressive Lenses

 For the month of March, I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers. 

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 4/31: 

Progressive Lenses

Sometime last spring I had an appointment with my optometrist. He and I had the talk. I imagine that our exchange went a little like this: 

"Tell me about your vision when you are reading?"

"Oh. It's fine, but I take my glasses off, just like when I am using my phone or the computer."

"Is that because you cannot see very well?"

I paused. A LONG pause.

"Oh, You mean blurry? Yeah, I guess that's why I take my glasses off. It's really just when I need to see my phone, the Chromebook, and books. So yeah, I guess that I do this often."

"Your prescription has changed a little bit." (Readers, trust me. He gave me all of the optometrist jargon that I cannot currently pull out of my memory.) 

"You will likely be able to get by for a while by just talking off your glasses for reading text up close. However, you may want to think about Progressive Lenses the next time you buy new glasses."

"Progressive Lenses? Like bifocals?" 

"I am not recommending a lined bifocal. We now have the option of Progressive Lenses. It helps transition between near and far prescriptions within the lens."

"For your glasses prescription, I will indicate that Progressive Lenses are optional. You can take some time and think about it."

**************************************
I definitely took my time in ordering a new pair of glasses, mostly because I was putting off the decision of whether or not to order Progressive Lenses. I was warned it would be an adjustment and a significant cost increase. 

The hinge point was when the screws kept coming loose on one side of my glasses - something that I haven't experienced before. I thought that it was just time to get a new pair of frames. However, when I went in recently for an adjustment, the technician asked me if I took off my glasses a lot. Immediately, I realized that I was taking off my glasses multiple times a day for when I needed to read text up close. She gently reminded me that investing in Progressive Lenses would help with this problem.

This past Thursday I picked up my new pair of glasses, complete with Progressive Lenses.  Friday was the first day that I wore my new Progressive Lenses. My depth perception is still a bit weird. I am still learning where to look through my new glasses. I am using my old prescription for driving until I get used to my new lenses.

My Progressive Lenses are a gentle reminder that we are not immortal. After all, our bodies won't last forever. Just like getting my colonoscopy screening, it makes me feel a bit a lot more seasoned. Yet, I cannot help but be grateful that I can afford Progressive Lenses and there are options to bifocal lenses. 
  
My new frames (and Progressive Lenses)


5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you took the plunge and hope you'll be used to the new lenses soon. I LOVE my progressive lenses so much--it's so nice to be able to see no matter where I'm looking! And to be able to read without taking my glasses off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had mine for several years and I will say it took me awhile to get used to them. And I love the idea of being called "seasoned." Much better than that other word! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trina, I’ve worn progressive lenses for years. I don’t recall needing to adjust to them. I certainly empathize w/ your vision changes. As you know, my eyes are a real pain in the backside. I hope you love progressives, but know they aren’t good for riding roller coasters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hated having to accept the bifocal reality, but I definitely appreciate that I can see!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look good in your glasses! A lot of times when I put my glasses on and am reminded that I'm 'seasoned,' I remember a scene from a recent TV series that took place before glasses were common. The character was very disabled from doing his job as a sheriff and when he got a pair of glasses he felt like he was normal and people thought he could still do his job the right way. For some reason this makes me feel good.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...