Sunday, March 5, 2023

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 5/31: Walking In Nature

For the month of March, I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers. 

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 5/31: 

Walking In Nature

When I was an undergraduate, I often walked through Schmeeckle Reserve when I needed a break from studying or a slice of solitude. Schmeeckle was right on the edge of campus - a short walk from my dorm. Back then, I did not realize how fortunate I was to have such a beautiful, safe space to explore. I also did not fully understand how walking benefited mental and physical health. I just knew that I felt better when I returned from a walk. 

Over twenty years later, walking remains my go-to for relieving stress or anxiety. It is my preferred form of exercise, even through bitter cold Wisconsin temperatures. I am a better version of myself when I regularly walk outside. 

Yesterday morning I was fortunate to be able to walk through Schmeeckle.  



I am grateful for walking. I am grateful for city nature spaces, like Schmeeckle. I am grateful for the calm yesterday's walk gave me.  


8 comments:

  1. I too walk to relieve stress and to breathe in fresh air. My usual walk these days is through a magnificent park designed by the architect of Central Park in NYC. I brightens even the darkest of days. Plus, it's free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could not agree more. Walking saves me. Your views are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trina, your walks inspire meditation and contemplation. I love to walk, but the wind gives me a headache, so i’m these blustery days my walks are limited to those w/ Snug. I walked most places in college, and I’d love to walk through the park you enjoyed in college. Gorgeous, serene photos invite me to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to walk every morning before heading off to school. I am a wimp, though, in winter and won't walk if it's below 40 degrees. But that doesn't happen often in the deep south. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I walk to relieve stress regularly. Though my walks aren't as gorgeous as Schmeeckle Reserve, which I checked out. (Thanks for the link!) However, putting one foot in front of the other, while listening to an audiobook or a podcast, has become one of my greatest joys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Trina, I attended UW-Madison. So, I know a bit about how bitter Wisconsin winters can be. I'll never forget the feeling of my eyelashes freezing together as I trudged to class. I'm right there with you in terms of walking outside bringing a level of sanity to my life. Enjoy every step.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love walking also, I do find that walking outside, even in the cold winters of NY, can change your perspective and bring you peace. Thanks for sharing those lovely photos and your gratitude for walking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this. Walking is also my preferred activity for exercise and stress relief.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...