Sunday, December 9, 2018

Haiku-A-Day December #9: Christmas Nostalgia

I am joining Elisabeth from The Dirigible Plum in writing a Haiku-A-Day during the month of December.


Haiku-A-Day December #9: Christmas Nostalgia

Our Christmas tree is not anything to brag about. It would never be highlighted in Better Homes and Gardens or Real Simple. It is a small, artificial tree, bought several years ago on clearance a few weeks following that holiday season. It is, however, the perfect size for our tiny living room. 

Some of our friends or extend family members decorate their trees by theme, creating fancy, elaborate holiday displays. Our Christmas tree is anything but lavish; instead, our tree includes a mashup of ornaments my grandma made for me each year when I was a kid, a few Hallmark ornaments from my husband's childhood, and a bounty of handmade ornaments courtesy of my children. This year our Christmas tree skirt is one my grandma hand-stitched decades ago, comprised of felt, sequins, and embroidery.

Growing up, my family's Christmas tree was similar - donned in mostly handmade or meaningful ornaments. I love remembering this

As I was thinking about passing on this tradition to my children, I penned this Haiku:

Handcrafted Christmas
brings nostalgia - rooted
joyful traditions.  


2 comments:

  1. This is lovely. I really miss all the beautiful ornaments I've collected over the years to decorate the tree, but with 9 cats, there is nearly always a cat somewhere in the tree and they do a number on the ornaments. The only thing better than climbing the tree is knocking the ornaments off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I don't blame you for not having ornaments with all of your furry friends!

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...