Saturday, March 23, 2019

March Slice of Life Challenge Day 23: Hot Water

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers



March Slice of Life Challenge Day 23: Hot Water

It was a typical early Monday morning marathon. As usual, I had pushed snooze on my alarm far too many times, resulting in a later, stressful start.

I just needed a quick shower. I turned on our faucet, heard the water pelt the porcelain, and I stepped in the bathtub.

A blast of ice water stunned me. 

My body dripping, I immediately stepped on the bath mat and found solace in a nearby body towel. Although I was the first person in the shower that morning and never needed to let the water warm, I let the faucet run for a few moments. 

Come on, warm up. 

My arm tested the water. Still ice.

Ugh.

I turned off the water, turned it back on again, as if somehow I had forgotten how to make the shower work right. 

No hot water.

"Joel! I think there's something wrong with our water heater!" I bellowed to my groggy husband, who had just rolled out of bed. Joel headed to the basement.

Impatiently, I glanced at the clock. How were we going to get ready in time for school? 

Quickly, I gave myself what my mom called a "spit bath" - soap, water, washcloth. Soon, I instructed my teenage son and tween daughter to do the same. They both balked at the absence of hot water and cleaning themselves in this archaic manner. 

"Put on extra deodorant today. You don't want to be stinky" I nagged my kids. I could almost feel their eye rolls. 

Soon my husband emerged from the basement, "Yup, definitely the water heater. It leaked all over. I guess I will need to call a repairmen and work from home today."

I sighed. Joel sighed. Basement water clean up. A maintenance call. New water heater. We didn't need any of it.  

In the end, we all made it to school on time. I felt grimy and dirty all day. The water heater was replaced the same day. 

As soon as I returned home and the new water heater was installed, I took a long, hot shower. I felt each droplet hit my body, spent several moments savoring the instant hot water on my skin, and whispered several prayers of gratitude for that shower. 

I couldn't have been more thankful for our instant hot water that evening. 

5 comments:

  1. Years ago there was a huge flood on Camp Pendleton where I was stationed. It washed away a few helicopters but when the waters hit out end of base it destroyed wherever the water water heaters were located. It took them four months to fix it. Four months without hot water. I felt like I wonder the biggest lottery of all time when it was fixed. They didn't fix it due to cost. Nothing worse than a cold shower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The comforts we are used to. Lucky you that the new heater was installed in a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am super impressed that your kids took a "spit bath". My two younger ones would take "spit baths" every day, but my two older ones (both teenagers) would NEVER. We would have had a "neighborhood emergency" if we were out of hot water. I scream almost every single day for them to get out of the shower (after 10-15 minutes). Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh - I really felt that ice cold water. And then the flood and the broken hot water tank. Good thing they were able to fix it so quickly. Makes me grateful for my creature comforts, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I feel your pain. It's never fun to be without hot water. We had a quirky hot water heater for awhile that required going outside under the deck to access under the house in order to relight the pilot light. I was so grateful that son-in-law lived with us during part of this time since my husband was traveling so much. So glad they were able to replace the water heater the same day. I share your gratitude for hot water.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...