Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Haiku-A-Day December Challenge #17: Slice of Life Mash-Up: CSI

For the last three years, I've intentionally spent time writing and sharing a Haiku-A-Day for the month of December. The first two years I exchanged a daily Haiku privately with willing friends, mostly through text and email. Last year I wrote and shared each Haiku on my blogThroughout this process, I've discovered that the practice of noticing and reflecting through writing a Haiku grounds me, provides with with a certain kind of peace, assists me with better practicing gratitude, and helps me better navigate this "hurry up" world. This year my goal is the same as last year: to pen and publish a daily Haiku on my blog throughout December. 


Haiku-A-Day December Challenge #17
Slice of Life Mash-Up: 
CSI

As a co-leader of my daughter's Girl Scout troop, I've been able to participate in some amazing experiences. This past Saturday was no exception. We visited Fox Valley Technical College's Public Safety Training Center where our girls earned their Special Agent Badge and explored careers in law enforcement and STEM. My daughter learned about fingerprints, DNA, the roles and responsibilities of law enforcement, and crime scene work. 

We also got to visit the impressive village within the Public Safety Training Center, complete with an airplane, hotel/bar, bank, gas station, and two houses. In one of the houses there was even a simulated meth lab and hidden rooms in the basement. 

Mind blown. I couldn't believe how detailed and sophisticated this is. 

Although this was a visit geared at middle and high school students, I'm certain that I learned just as much as my daughter. Overall, this leaves me with a deeper appreciation for the different levels within our local law enforcement and public safety. Our community is so fortunate to have a facility such as this. 


Exploring science/
through real experiences-/
lasting impression.

Lifting fingerprints,/
sketching crime scenes can inspire/
curiosity. 

Dusting for fingerprints

We lifted hand prints!

A hidden room inside of one of the homes of the safety village.

Sketching out a crime scene
Although this Saturday was a busy day, I am so grateful that my daughter and I got to experience this. 
****



Looking to connect with a positive, supportive online community? Consider sharing a slice of your life with Two Writing Teachers. All writers are welcome! 

1 comment:

  1. My eyes popped when I read about the meth lab in the facility. WOW. Love the photos and the details about “lifting fingerprints” and “sketching crime scenes” in your haiku.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...