Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Haiku-A-Day December Challenge #5: Audience Adjustment

I am joining Elisabeth from The Dirigible Plum in writing a Haiku-A-Day during the month of December. Please let me know if you are posting a Haiku-A-Day too! I would love to read your work.

Haiku-A-Day December Challenge #5: Audience Adjustment

For the last three years I have challenged myself to write a Haiku-A-Day during the month of December. This is the first year I have shared each Haiku publicly. In the past I only shared my daily Haiku with people I already knew and trusted. Their daily Haiku was shared back with me. 

This year I quickly realized how different my Haiku writing has been in comparison to past years. Before I knew exactly who was reading my Haiku. I knew my audience; my audience knew me. I was vulnerable with them; they were vulnerable with me. My Haiku poems were much more personal, intimate. I felt emotionally safe to share. 

My audience shifted this year. I think that most people who read my posts are friends and/or teachers or involved with education, but I cannot be certain. After all, I have no idea who reads my posts or who might stumble on them. This makes me hesitant to post anything that is too personal or revealing. Above all, I do not allow myself to be as vulnerable. 

I am reminded that audience matters. 

This reflection inspired today's Haiku:

Unknown audience.
Careful topics, words, phrases - 
guarded poetry.

2 comments:

  1. "guarded poetry"=my favorite line. You've given me much to think about with your reflections on audience. I can imagine how very different your poems would have been in previous years when you were writing for a private audience. It's one of the reasons I value having a writer's notebook--a space for private, safe, vulnerable writing. I do sometimes feel like there are so many lost opportunities and invitations I can't accept in my writing life. Many things I'd like to write about, I'm just not comfortable publishing or sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Elisabeth. Guarded describes it SO well! You are right, this is one of the best reasons for why to have a writer's notebook. It is that safe place for me too!

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...