Friday, December 6, 2019

Haiku-A-Day December Challenge #6: Reflective Stance

For the last three years, I've intentionally spent time writing and sharing a Haiku-A-Day for the month of December. The first two years I exchanged a daily Haiku privately with willing friends, mostly through text and email. Last year I wrote and shared each Haiku on my blogThroughout this process, I've discovered that the practice of noticing and reflecting through writing a Haiku grounds me, provides with with a certain kind of peace, assists me with better practicing gratitude, and helps me better navigate this "hurry up" world. This year my goal is the same as last year: to pen and publish a daily Haiku on my blog throughout December. 


Haiku-A-Day December Challenge #6
Reflective Stance

Even as a seasoned educator, each school year presents challenges. This year is no exception; I've struggled particularly in effectively reaching my ninth and tenth grade students identified as requiring additional literacy supports. At times I feel overwhelmed as a teacher in realizing the complex needs of my students - where do I begin in order to make a meaningful difference in their lives?

Although last year I read most of the smart, inspiring professional book What Are You Grouping For?, I recently returned to it, hoping to utilize small groups more effectively. In the first chapter, authors Julie Wright and Barry Hoonan emphasize the importance of ongoing reflection. I was especially struck by the lines they quoted from author Margaret Wheatley,"without reflection, we go blindly on our way, creating unintended consequences, and failing to achieve anything useful." 


Last night, when I stopped to reflect on this particularly challenging week, I realized that I haven't taken enough time to pause to continually reflect in my professional world - through kid watching, grouping for student needs, planning, and selecting the best texts. I have also neglected to provide enough time for my students to reflect, too. 


Today's Haiku is about a needed reflective stance:

Watch. Pause. Question. Pause./
Reflect. What do students need/
to achieve growth next?

Needed: infusion -/ 
continual reflection/
through smart teacher moves. 

**********

My mind lingers this morning with these propelling questions: 
  • Am I moving blindly in my instruction?
  • Am I missing opportunities for student growth?
  • How can I plan better?

2 comments:

  1. I’m sorry the week has been tough. I can sense that in your haiku today. Ultimately, I realized the only thing that matters in terms of curriculum is students growing as readers and writers. The struggle is discovering how to tap into these for each student.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The universe is always speaking to us, but we rarely stop to listen.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...