Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Slice of Life #22: Day 8: Something Looks Different

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers. 


Slice of Life #22: Day 8: 
Something Looks Different


"Did you clean?"
"I can't tell, but something looks so weird in here."
"Where did all the posters go?"
"Is your room getting a makeover?" 
"It looks like a whole new room!"

At least one student in every class commented on my classroom yesterday. My students were right - my classroom definitely looked different. I took several anchor charts and posters down early Monday morning, leaving chunks of blank space on partitioned classroom walls.

There was no weekend vandalism. 
There was no quick dash to clean.
There was no grand plan for redecorating.

It was just me following directions. There can be nothing visible that might aid students on the ACT test. 

In a little while, all juniors will take the state-mandated ACT test. ACT testing is one of my least favorite school days of the year. It will be an incredibly long day for students testing and staff proctoring. 

I cannot wait until all of our mandated standardized testing is done for the 2021-2022 school year. 
 

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the format of your post: the quotes, the simple sentences keeping us guessing what was going on...
    Standardized testing is just the worst - good luck getting through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uggh. I can’t imagine having to deal with ongoing embedded testing on top of everything else these past two years.
    The quotes were a great hook enticing the reader to continue on.
    The repetition of ‘There was no’ had me guessing and predicting what happened.
    Great slice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy that tone switch go smacked me. 😑 What a monumental waste of money it is to require those crappy tests of all students. They drain teachers and students. 🤮

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...