Saturday, January 20, 2018

Essential Writing Tools: Heart Maps, Gratitude, and Haiku

Although I haven't kept up with blogging as regularly as I wanted to, I have maintained my daily personal writing habit, handwriting my thoughts in a thick, weathered notebook. Unfortunately, I often find myself tangled in the day-to-day bustle of life, so writing helps me remember and leaves me with meaningful breadcrumbs. Every few weeks, I take the time to reread my loopy, messy words, and I almost always find myself in awe of what I took the time to notice and record.

Yesterday marked the last day of finals week at my high school. Although I consider myself a "seasoned" teacher, I haven't formally taught in a high school position since my student teaching days. After four years of literacy coaching and my return to the classroom this year, I continue to be humbled at the subtle and blatant lessons my high school students have taught me about what it means to be an effective teacher. Each time I think that I am better at meeting my students' needs, I realize that I need to learn more about my who my students are and how I can adjust my teaching so that I can be more of who I need to be as a teacher for them. I frequently write about my teaching and what I learn from my students. Daily writing helps me achieve this.

I believe that daily reflection through writing is an underutilized tool for many teachers.

If you peeked into my notebook, you would notice that I regularly use three main writing tools: 1) Georgia Heard's Heart Maps, 2) daily gratitude lists, and 3) Haiku. These are my favorite ways to notice what's going on in my life. I have found each tool to be a simple, yet worthy way to write. 

Georgia Heard's Heart Maps are sprinkled throughout my notebook. Heart Mapping is my go-to when I am having a challenging day, not sure how to move forward, or when I am unsure of what to write about. Below is my Heart Map from early this morning, reflecting on this past week of finals at my high school: 
My Heart Map this morning 
At the conclusion of each day, I create a list of bullet points of what I was most grateful for. After regularly writing lists for the past two years, I have found that this simple task often adjusts my mindset and helps me release tension or toxicity. I need this release to show up as a better human. This was last night's list (yes reader, again, it's about finals!):

Last night's gratitude list
I often gush about my love of Haiku. I try to write at least one Haiku a day. Most of my Haiku are not worthy of publishing or even sharing, but I have found that it is an effective way to think more deeply about one thing. I think Haiku is attainable as a daily writing practice because it is only three lines. In addition, I am drawn to the rhythm and predictability of Haiku. Here are a few of my Haiku that I have written this week:

(from 1/15/18)
Tension builds. Endless
Grading. Overwhelmed. Behind.
Semester finals. 

(Triple Haiku from 1/12/18)
Painful moments can
Teach powerful lessons, if
One reflects on it.

How can I apply
Lessons instead of holding 
Onto resentment?

I want to show up...
As one who applies insights
Instead of grudges. 

Heart Maps, lists of gratitude, and Haiku are three simple ways that I navigate my life through writing. Each tool has helped me to notice more, reflect, and to show up more as the person I need to be. Yes, it takes some discipline to carve out time to write every day, but for me, writing has brought me unexpected gifts of insight and reflection. As a bonus, each of these writing tools are some of the cheapest ways I know to release stress and find peace when it seems unattainable. 

14 comments:

  1. Releasing stress through writing-YES! That is a wonderful way to approach life and find relaxation after a long day, Trina. I am so glad to meet your acquaintance. I am now following you on Twitter also. I hope that you will consider writing for my winter gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't mind, I am copying your heart map for my presentation next week with secondary teachers. I want them to see how another HS teacher approaches daily writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Copy away! I am honored! I have also used Heart Maps with my high school seniors. It is how we began preparing for senior statements for college essays.

      Delete
  3. I have turned to Heart Maps for teaching but haven't thought about doing them for myself and now I'm thinking why the heck not? I love how these tools for getting our kids to write sustain you in your own writing. Wonderful advice. Practice what you preach. I hope next week is better, a new beginning, a new semester. Do you get new students?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to Heart Maps for adults! I don't use many sketches or symbols like my students do, but I have found Heart Mapping fun and relaxing. I cannot wait to see you blog about it!

      I will get some new students but most of them started with me at the beginning of the school year. All of my courses are technically year long, but I will get some new seniors due to schedule changes. I also teach at-risk 9th and 10th grade students, and I will work with many new students this semester. To me, new students are exciting, yet I cannot help but wonder how new students will change the tone of my classes!

      Delete
  4. I wrote with Georgia the past few years at Highlights, believe her heart maps are inspiring tools for writing, and enjoyed hearing your ideas about them, and about the daily haiku. I posted haiku for a long time on FB, enjoy the writing and the focus they offer. Thanks for sharing your own inspirations for daily writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so amazing that you were able to write with Georgia! I've followed her work for a while, but I have only been able to see her in person once at ILA.

      Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  5. I'm not great at daily writing and so I appreciate this sharing of the tools that you use. It makes me realize that putting pen or pencil to paper is half the battle. You inspire me as you celebrate the way these tools release stress and help you find peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for these words! Writing each day has truly been what has helped me keep some kind of balance, both in teaching and in my personal life. For sure, it helps me show up better as the person I want to be!

      Delete
  6. Oh I love every bit of this post. Thank you for sharing your process. Writing is a healing tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julieanne! I treasure your kind words!

      Delete
  7. You've inspired me to try out your daily Haiku practice. I like the way you consider these three things as tools for your writing practice. You're making me think differently about "tools."
    Thanks,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RUTH AYRES!! Thank you for your generous words. I am not sure that these are really "tools" but it is what helps me most as a writer (and SO easy to share with students when I confer)! I'd love to know how your practice of daily Haiku turns out...

      Delete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...