Monday, March 12, 2018

Slice of Life 2018 Day 12: If I'm going to be an effective teacher

One of the things that I have appreciated the most about the Slice of Life Blogging Challenge is gaining new ideas from other writers based on their posts. For example, a few days ago I saw this post by Ona Feinberg's On A Thought. I was struck in how she effectively shared what she strives to do as a writer through a poem. In thinking that it might be interesting to emulate Ona's poem.

Although I have written about my teaching beliefs before, I believe that it is worthy and important work for all educators to do. Each time I think and write about my teaching beliefs, I discover new insights about myself as an educator, gently reminding me what I need to continue work on in order to be a more effective teacher.  


If I’m going to be an effective teacher…


I need to build positive relationships with all of my students
By discovering who each child is as a person first
If I’m going to be an effective teacher.

I need to do more listening than talking
And let students’ voices and work guide my instruction
If I’m going to be an effective teacher.

I need to write about things that matter to me
By publishing for real purposes
If I’m going to be an effective teacher.

I need to be clear in purpose and what success looks like
By reading and writing and creating worthy "makes" with students
If I'm going to be an effective teacher.

I need to promote an atmosphere of collaboration
By planning and problem-solving with colleagues in my building and beyond
If I’m going to be an effective teacher.

I need to read professional books and articles
And apply new knowledge to provide students with what they need
If I’m going to be an effective teacher.

I need to reflect daily and following units of study
Through conversation and writing
If I’m going to be an effective teacher.

I need to show that I’m still learning
By publicly questioning and revising my thinking
If I’m going to be an effective teacher.



8 comments:

  1. I love all of your "needs" and can tell it would be amazing to be a learner in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never thought about writing down my teaching beliefs. What a worthy exercise. You have very purposeful point too. I really appreciate this slice and you sharing the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would love to read about your teaching beliefs! I have a different version of my teaching beliefs posted near my computer at school. It keeps me grounded.

      Delete
  3. So often we teachers talk about what students need and should do and don't think enough about what we need to do. Your last point about being a learner is my favorite as it likely takes care of the others. The poem is an excellent format. Have you thought about turning it into a poster? I bet your students would love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make such a great point. I think that we need to consider both - what we need to do as teachers and what our students need, too... I used to be in the role of a literacy coach in my district, and it made me think all of the time about how we are all learners, not just our students.

      Delete
  4. I love how you used this structure to lay out your thoughts on teaching. It also showed how much you are a learner as you used a model from another post. It was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne. I enjoy trying to figure out new things, especially when I can see a model. Just like our students, right?

      Delete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...