Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Slice of Life 2018 Day 14: Changing the Narrative

I have been following Mari Andrew on Instagram and Twitter for a while. I adore her drawings and especially how she shares such vulnerable thoughts. She recently posted this image on Instagram:

Mari's post on Instagram
I thought that it might be an interesting mentor text to emulate. Below is my version (open this link if you cannot read the small print):


My two narratives

As I was crafting my parallel narratives, I enjoyed considering different perspectives of my past, especially in considering how my struggles helped me in ways that I didn't initially consider. This may be a writing exercise I use with my students, especially since I have a large number of students who have experienced trauma.


8 comments:

  1. I love the idea of using this with students. Although I’ve know for a long how important it is to help students be aware of the narrative they tell themselves, I’ve never felt successful in redirecting the most damaging. I’m excited to give this a try. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't tried it with my students yet, but I am willing to try it.. I may offer it as an option for my students to try, but that they don't need to publicly share it. I am not sure yet!

      Delete
  2. What an interesting way to share that other narrative. I have done this in my head but not written down my thoughts. I can see how this would be great with students as well. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wrote a more personal one for myself, and that one was much more difficult. But I think that it is a worthy exercise to think about!

      Delete
  3. I love Mari Andrews too. She has a book coming out at the end of the month too. I really like this format for parallel narratives. I'm definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I played with a more personal one too, and I thought that it was more challenging than I anticipated!

      I heard that her book is coming out! It is on my list!

      Delete
  4. I'm so jealous I didn't think of this, especially because I have this conversation w/ a couple friends all the time. I love the original and your version. I think this would be fun to try w/ students and fun to try w/ characters in a book. I'm also thinking about how I can use this idea to teach argument. I'd set the chart up as "I support _______ because..." on the left and "I'm opposed to ________ because...." and ask students to complete both sides. I teach students eleven methods of refuting arguments in the dual credit speech class I teach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be jealous!! It is a new idea for you to emulate! I like your idea of incorporating this with argument - nice!

      Delete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...