Saturday, March 17, 2018

Slice of Life 2018 Day 17: Baptismal Gown

Many children’s books are filled with stunning words and phrases, worthy of using as a mentor text with students of all ages (including high school students). Cynthia Rylant’s work is no exception. Cynthia Rylant’s Something Permanent is a gorgeous book that tells stories of ordinary Americans living in the Great Depression through Walker Evans’ photos and Cynthia Rylant’s poetry. Each black and white photo is accompanied with a corresponding poem.

Something Permanent reminds me that photos are a fantastic source to conjure memories. Photographs help preserve moments, of both ordinary and important events. Words, often through poetry, can enhance an image. 

My grandma Geanne, now in her mid-nineties, moved into an assisted living situation last summer. As my mom and aunts were helping her downsize from her house to her much smaller room, they gathered important letters, photos, and other mementos that she would not have room for. Around Christmas my mother handed me a bag full of old photos and letters from Grandma Geanne. It was bittersweet to read letters I had written to my grandma from when I was in elementary and middle school and to see photos of me and my own children in her collection, some of them unfamiliar. One of the photos was of my daughter on the day of her baptism.
My daughter in the family baptismal gown
Instantly, I thought of the gown my daughter was wearing. She's donned in the same gown my mother wore, I wore, her older brother wore, my siblings wore, my cousins and nieces and their children wore. A favorite part of my daughter's baptism was dressing her in a gown that is nearly one hundred years old that was made for my grandmother. I cherish the love that my grandma put into caring for this family heirloom.

In honor of Grandma Geanne, I wrote a poem about this baptismal gown. Something Permanent provided the perfect format to emulate.

Baptismal Gown
She wanted to be certain her hand-sewn baptismal gown could be
preserved for each child, grandchild, and great-grandchild,
so she kept this fragile gown folded in white tissue paper
in a flimsy department store cardboard box, secured with string,
high on the top shelf of her closet,
and when the time came
she hand-washed,
pressed, and
delivered
this  
gown
for each
baby.

7 comments:

  1. This is a lovely memory. I'm touched by your grandmother's love of family and sad that she now must part w/ some of her treasures. This post really offers me a way to know you better, and I hope others find it. You are a wealth of resources, but I'm trying not to buy every book you recommend. I do need to buy groceries occasionally, and I can't hide Amazon boxes now that my husband is retired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Glenda. Your comments always make me feel so good! Your sentence about hiding books made me laugh - I do the same...I buy way too many books! You should be able to find this one at the library though!

      Delete
  2. I love Cynthia Rylant. I am reading aloud The Islander. But I don't know this book. Next step...Amazon cart.
    We have a family Christening gown. Your poem touches me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you have a family Christening gown too. Though I must say that on the day that both my babies wore it, I was a wreck, scared that one of my children would ruin it by a "blow out" or spitting up...

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! I loved how you took us down memory lane and shared this family tradition! Your poem is wonderful. I especially like the way you formatted it, from the grand idea to that individual tiny soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, thank you so much! It has been an idea on my mind, but I just never got around to working on writing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post and the ending poem. Families memories are so dear!

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...