Sunday, March 25, 2018

Slice of Life 2018 Day 25: Rainbow Quilt

My mom is an incredibly talented quilter. She began quilting as a newlywed. When she first learned how to quilt, she didn’t have any fancy tools. She used cardboard pieces as templates. Mom pieced fabrics together on her second-hand Singer sewing machine and then hand quilted intricate designs, no matter the size of the quilt. I literally cannot fathom how she made time to quilt, especially when she could not have had much time for herself.

As we grew up my mom continued to quilt. Mom made a stunning quilt as a gift for our wedding, gorgeous baby quilts for each of my children, and later twin-sized quilts for each child. In her retirement, she is active in her quilting guild, often enters her quilt in local quilt shows, and is an avid member of a mission quilting group at her church.


I love sleeping and snuggling under quilts she made for me - constant reminders of the love and care she stitched into each.

Below are two of the quilts she made for my children:



A cuddle blanket for my daughter

A quilt for my son's bed, some fabrics remnants from our wedding quilt. 
One of the memories that stands out for me from childhood involves a quilt Mom secretly made for me as a birthday gift. When I was about five or six years old I threw a tantrum in a department store for a rainbow comforter that we couldn’t afford. My mom designed a pattern similar to the comforter I wanted and made it for me. I wrote about this memory in this fifty word story:


“If you loved me, you’d buy me that rainbow comforter.” Seven-year-old Trina pleaded with her mom. Too much, Mom dimly replied.


“I never get anything new.” Ungrateful little imp.


At her next birthday, Trina opened a handstitched rainbow quilt from Mom-one she’d secretly worked on while her little girl slept.

6 comments:

  1. Your children are adorable. Both quilts are beautiful, but the faces in your daughter’s quilt are stunning. You’re mom is very talented. I love your 50-Word Story. It’s an excellent way to teach concision in writing. BTW: Do you quilt, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are both older photos and both are tweens now! I am not great about being concise in writing, so using a limit (like in a challenge) works well for me.

      I know how to quilt and have dabbled in a few small projects, but I don't really quilt. I need to use my hands though so sometimes I cross stitch or attempt to crochet.

      Delete
  2. Ah, the women who found time to make these beautiful gifts from the heart!
    I especially love the detail of how your son's quilt has fabric from your wedding quilt. This is what I love about quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My mom sneaks in all types of meaning in the fabrics she selects... I have a box of vintage fabrics that belonged to my great-grandma. She started working on a quilt and never finished it. Among the fabric pieces are scraps from my great-grandpa's shirts. I love this about quilts!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you included photos of the quilts. So beautiful! I also really like the challenge of the flash nonfiction piece. I also tend to run long when I write, so it's extra challenging for me when I stick to a word limit like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have been searching for a photo of the quilt my mom made for me, but couldn't find it!

      I often use flash writing when I am struggling with getting a story out. It helps me focus better and tell the story that I want to in a more effective way.

      Delete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...