Friday, April 27, 2018

Dear Jason Reynolds

¨Dreams aren’t reserved for the creatives.”
from For Everyone by Jason Reynolds

Dear Jason Reynolds:

Thank you for your letter, even though it has taken you years to write. We all need more reminders of how to be courageous.
"This is for the courageous, and everyone who wants to be."
Back cover of For Everyone
For Everyone was the book that I needed to read this week. It stared me down from the New Picks bookshelf at the public library Sunday afternoon. “Check me out! Take me home!” It beckoned.

I yearned to read something so honest and comforting, especially when I was, once again, recently met with disappointment, letting my loud and self-loathing inner critic get the best of me.

Thank you, especially for this:
"This letter is for us all,
to remind us
that we are many.
that we are right
for trying.
That purpose is real.
That making it is possible."
Page 85

And this:
"If you're like me,
you've struggled trying
to stomp out
the flame of doubt
and fear,
the warmth and comfort
always enticing
and familiar
though venemous
and life extinguishing."
Page 58
I cannot wait to share your wisdom with my high school students, especially the ones who haven't experienced a lot of success yet. They need this.

And meanwhile, I will carry your words.

Sincerely,

Another Dreamer

2 comments:

  1. Dear Trina,
    First, I'm sorry you've experienced disappointment recently. I don't know the nature of that disappointment, but if it has anything to do w/ education, well, you are not alone.

    I purchased this JR book, and it arrived a few days ago. I haven't read it yet. Silly me, I've been creating a new unit and redoing old ones this month. I need to read it this evening and pass it on to students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glenda. It was mostly regarding some disappointment professionally.

      JR's book is short. I finished it in one sitting.

      Delete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...