Saturday, June 16, 2018

Conquering Summer Boredom

"Boredom always precedes a period of great creativity." 

"Mom, I booooored!" Alaina, my ten-year-old daughter proclaimed, loud enough for the whole neighborhood to hear. 

Isaac, my twelve-year-old son and I looked up from our books we were quietly reading on the couch. 

"Find a book to read." I offered.

"I already read all of my library books," Alaina volleyed. 

"How about a puzzle?" I suggested.

"Make a loom bracelet? Draw? Write a story? Play with the dogs? Work on your fairy garden?"

None of these options appealed to Alaina.

"You could clean your room, go through your backpack from school, fold laundry, pull weeds." I reminded her. Essentially, I shared parts of our bottomless to-do list. 

Alaina crinkled her nose in distaste.

"I guess I'll play ALONE... Can you play Monopoly by yourself?"

She trudged into the dining room, adjacent to were Isaac and I were reading, her loud sighs interrupting our silence. I knew that my quiet reading time was over. 

I grabbed a stack of old magazines and headed over to the dining room table.

"Want to find some poetry in these magazines with me?"

She looked at me quizzically. Although we have made found poetry before, it had been a while.

I began paging through magazines, snipping words and phrases that caught my eye:

welcome
beauty
grace
gentle
glow
confidence

"Find the words you like and arrange them. We can make poems based on what's already published." 

She paged through magazines. I paged through magazines. 

Snip. Snip. Snip. 

Pretty soon the table top was covered in words and phrases. 



Alaina played with the arrangement of words and phrases, gushing with excitement as we created poetry. She read the lines out loud, often pausing to admire our work. 


Found Poem #1
Here are the lines from the first found poem Alaina and I created together: 

Welcome confidence,
Love that everyone has a different story...
Live your best life reading,
Begin feeling good, gentle, glow,
It's about time you make noise.


Found Poem #2
Here are the lines from the second found poem we created together:

Welcome
to 
simple
beauty
Go!
Make a big deal out of little moments
The here. The now. The ready.

Found Poem #3
Below are the lines from the third found poem we created:

One light as air, making style with intelligence,
the rainbow in your life,
Embrace your power to light,
Be bold. Be brave. Be better. Be beautiful!
The secret to joy and laughter is 
good news.

We just finished the first full week into summer vacation. Boredom is inevitable, but I am determined that we won't spend the majority of summer watching Netflix or playing video games. Although I am always drawn to a good book, I love spending time with my children, especially when we make things.


Celebrate this week with Ruth Ayres

7 comments:

  1. 3 found poems that are creative and ready for publication on my spring and summer galleries of artistic expressions as examples of #stuvoice. Trina, would you and Alaina want to offer the first two image poems for my Sense-sational Spring Gallery? Invitation is at beyondliteracylink.blogspot.com/2018/04/spring-salutations-with-invitation-to.html. All you would need to do is add your names and location at the bottom. The last one I would like for my summer gallery (title not released yet). I hope Alaina would like this. Her poems need to be shared as a a hack for boredom. Let me know. cvarsalona@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alaina is thrilled! Thank you for thinking of her! I just emailed you about a question, Carol!

      Delete
  2. Love all the options you offered. And that YOU stopped reading to create with her. Love these two lines:
    “Embrace your power to light.
    Be bold. Be brave. Be better. Be beautiful!
    What delightful words you and Alaina strung together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ramona! There are definitely times that I keep reading, but I do love to create with my kids!

      Delete
    2. Wanted to share this fun link with you for a summer family read-a-thon that I read this past week! https://powerofmoms.com/summer-family-read-thon/

      Delete
  3. Although you created beautiful poetry, this moment produced so much more than that. What a lovely shared experience because you had the presence of heart and mind to stop and be in the moment with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome found poetry! I hope you have more moments when boredom invites creative solutions during the summer.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...