Saturday, June 2, 2018

Insights Gained From Reading Enticing Hard-To-Reach-Writers

Join Ruth Ayres and celebrate this week

"Writing is creating, and creation is messy. 
It's not a lockstep process. 
It's not a guarantee. 
Most of our best work is completely unexpected. 
This is why we must be faithful writer's: 
Showing up day after day is the best way to ensure success." 
By Ruth Ayres 
from Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers 
(Stenhouse, 2017)

I bought Ruth Ayres' Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers soon after it came out. I started it, then had to set it aside because of intense school and family commitments, and unfortunately, it got buried at school. But once I got into this book, I found myself so immersed in Ruth's voice that I stole whatever moments I could to read it. 

As you can see by my use of sticky notes,
Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers is already a well-loved resource for me. 

While there is not a chapter from Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers that I could not relate to or that is not all marked up from my annotations where I am basically having my own little private, pretend conversation with Ruth Ayres, I particularly appreciated Chapter 8: "Writing Always Gives More Than It Takes." Ruth Ayres highlights (in her exquisite writing voice with such thoughtful examples) what writing has given her:


  • Writing Helps Me Grow My Thinking and My Teaching
  • Writing Lets Me See the Importance of My Work
  • Writing Energizes Me for the Day
  • Writing Makes Me See More Accurately
  • Writing Lets Me take Hold of the Small Moments
While I agree with every single point Ruth Ayres highlighted, I would also add that writing helps me know myself better. You would think that in 41 years that I would be an expert at knowing who I am, but I'm always discovering how my insights change, how my curiosity shifts, and what I had not noticed before. Often it isn't until I write that I realize what I am feeling. Recently, as I paged through some of my older writer's notebooks, I realized that how I am changing and evolving as a person/parent/wife/teacher is documented again and again through my various lists, written prayers, poetry, Heart Maps, questions, and lines I want to remember.  

I've been writing off and on since I was in fourth grade, but I really started showing up leading a more consistently writerly life a little over two years ago, filling notebooks, and gifting myself with time to write each day. 

Like Ruth Ayres so honestly writes about, I too, often feel like I have nothing to say or that I have nothing worth writing about. (In fact, it still scares me to publish anything I write, even a blog post when barely even anyone reads my writing!) Yet Ruth Ayres gently reminds me that so many writers feel insecure at some point, even her, a published author. As Ruth Ayres wrote in Chapter 8, "...I realized that writing, for me, is essential" (Stenhouse, 51). Although I don't always feel confident about what I share publicly as a writer, but I am always grateful for how writing fills me as a person, teacher, parent, and human.

Even when I am stuck, I am reminded that it is worth it to keep going and continue to lead a writerly life. So, this week I am celebrating all that writing gives me, even when I don't feel like I have anything to say! 

Writing does give more than it takes. 

10 comments:

  1. It feels to me that you just punctuated Ruth's own ideas by sharing that writing gives back to you, too. I love writing and couldn't imagine a day without it. Thanks for sharing and celebrating what it give you, too, Trina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I am at the place where I cannot miss a day of writing - it doesn't feel like me!

      Delete
  2. So many gifts are found in leading the writerly life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I always admire all of the things you write about Elisabeth!

      Delete
  3. "Writing helps me know myself better." I love this. And I love that you gift yourself time to write each day. I hope to spend a little more time writing this summer. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ramona. I hope to read more of your writing this summer!

      Delete
  4. Such a powerful celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mention (even admire?) "Ruth's voice" multiple times in this post. I love that. It was the way Ruth is able to convey the heart of who she is through writing that drew me to her Two Writing Teachers blog posts so many years ago, and it is that same voice that led me to follow her words when she stepped away from that blog. It is definitely cause for celebration when we are gifted with entire books of her voice! I loved seeing Enticing Hard-To-Reach-Writers again through your eyes and your writerly heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I am so in awe of Ruth's voice. It's lovely, and she inspires ME to be a better teacher of writers and to continue to lead a more writerly life1

      Delete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...