Sunday, March 10, 2019

March Slice of Life Challenge Day 10: What Moves You?

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers



March Slice of Life Challenge Day 10: 
What Moves You? 


I often return to Ralph Fletcher's classic text, Breathing In, Breathing Out: Keeping a Writer's Notebook (Heinemann 1996). In Chapter 2 Fletcher writes, "If I want to write movingly I must first pay attention to what moves me. I must be connected to it: I must be fused. That's what the notebook is for. It gives you a roomy space to record and explore what amazes, delights, disgusts, or appalls you."

 


Indeed, Ralph Fletcher. My notebook is truly a reservoir of what moves me - what captures my daily attention or feelings. For example, here's a snippet from a bit of Friday's notebook writing: 

Standing in the doorway of my classroom, I greeted seniors as they straggled in with their Starbucks coffee cups and earbuds dangling from their ears. Friday morning. 7:30. Many of them barely uttered a hey.

Just before the final attendance bell rang I heard, "Mrs. Haase! It's so glad to have you back!" Addie, a senior, brightly greeted me as she breezed into first hour.

"It's good to be back and see you, too, Addie." I replied. 

After being gone for two days of school, navigating notes from a collections of substitutes, it was great to be missed by a student. Her cheery greeting reminded me why I love teaching, even after being absent from school. 

12 comments:

  1. Great advice! And yes, it is always great to be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaah, thank you for this reminder of Ralph Fletcher's awesomeness. I'm going to tuck this idea into my Slicing notebook. As the mom of two high schoolers, I'm going to remind them to give a few cheerful hellos to their teachers tomorrow -- such an easy way to be "moved"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! The interesting thing is that in this technology age (computers and phones everywhere) the writer's notebook has survived and is thriving. I don't go anywhere without mine. Also, I loved the line - "navigating notes from a collections of substitutes" - Isn't it such a pain to navigate after being out? It's why I don't like missing school.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it wonderful there is always that one student who remembers to say how glad they are to have you back?!
    Thanks for informing me about Ralph Fletcher too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's those moments that offer up the rewards in our career path. You can't go wrong with Ralph Fletcher.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good advice from Ralph Fletcher. Good to hear from kiddos who miss us when we’re gone. Hope all in your household are finally well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once again I see the rewards of noticing and celebrating the simple things in our lives! Thanks for your part.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are back, glad that someone appreciates you being back, and really happy to read Ralph Fletcher's words. I'm not familiar with that book, so onto my list it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is so nice to feel like your students miss you a bit when you can't be there. Her greeting was so sweet and thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's my very favorite book ever about writing and writer's notebooks! I think it's time for a reread.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love everything I have read by Fletcher, but I have not read this one! His book on notebooks is one of my favorites. Sounds like you were missed, and isn't that a great feeling to return to?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that book! Let's see if I can find it on my shelves...

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...