Friday, March 15, 2019

March Slice of Life Challenge Day 16: Recommendation Request

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers



March Slice of Life Challenge Day 16: 
Recommendation Request

"Mrs. Haase, can I ask you a super big favor?" *Ellie shyly approached me in the hallway.

"Of course. What do you need?"

"Well, um...I was wondering...um....I need a recommendation letter written for me. It's for a scholarship."

"Sure, Ellie. I am glad you are seeking out opportunities! What would you like for me to highlight?"

"Oh. Um, I don't know. Good stuff about me?" Ellie replied. 

There was an awkward silence. 

"Well, when is it due?" I asked, praying I would have at least a few days to work on this one.

"Oh, um, tomorrow. You can still get it done today, right?" Her brown eyes flashed me a quick look of panic, "I didn't realize it was due so quickly. I could really use as many scholarships as possible."

Fourth hour - my prep hour already had a meeting scheduled. That meant the only time I would have today to fill out Ellie's form would be during my lunch today, and that was supposed to be time that I was making out sub plans for the next day's field trip. Yet, I knew that Ellie was likely the first person in her family to attend college. She was probably navigating scholarship information with little assistance. I had to find time to write this for her. 

"I'll do my best to get it done in time, Ellie." 

"Thanks, Mrs. Haase. You're the best."

Later in the day, after I wrote Ellie's letter, Ellie wrote me a kind email expressing her gratitude. In my experience, not all students take the time to write a thank you, even through email. Her heartfelt message made writing her recommendation worth it.

*pseudonym    

13 comments:

  1. I haven't had to write a recommendation in a while but remember it being more difficult than I thought it would be! Bless you for getting it done quickly for the student!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful gift you gave her, taking time to help her on her way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure these students who have never had to submit these letters before are unaware of how much time and thought goes into drafting them. I'm glad this student took some time to thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m drowning in letter requests this year and have folders in every gmail account full of them. The last minute requests are tough, but we write them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is no small thing that you took the context of her request specifically into account and came through for her on such short notice. I'm also glad to hear that she took the time to send you a thank you note. For some reason that is a challenging habit to instill (thinking of my young self and also my adult son...).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad she had someone like you to go to for this! And that you could come through for her. Just another example of the "things we do" as teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are awesome! "Yet, I knew that Ellie was likely the first person in her family to attend college." It sounds like this fact motivated you. We are alike - this fact would have definitely motivated me. I was one of the first in (even) my extended family to graduate college. In high school, I was like Ellie. I was always asking a teacher for a favor in the eleventh hour, and they always came through. Maybe that's why I teach today.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, these are my least favorite writing tasks! I think it's SO hard to write them and do a good job. It was easier when I was a high school teacher and knew my students so well. As a college teacher, I often just don't know that much about my students. Had to laugh at the last minute plea. I think we've all been there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your letter has weight. You were compassionate in thinking about the student's needs and taking the time even though the notice was short and you didn't really have the time. I hope she receives the scholarship.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Classic teenage procrastination, the 11th hour -- but you scored a note of thanks - very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was an extra task, but you know your students! You knew that this was important!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think about the teachers a lot as recommendations come up! You have SO much to do on top of all that additional writing, as it's the teachers who already do a LOT who get asked! I loved how you captured her nervousness, as well as her appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm impressed that you got it done so quickly, impressed that you know her well enough to know why it was important and why she might have struggled, and impressed with the child that she said thank you. Sending you extra teacher fairy dust for the work you put in.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...