Monday, March 25, 2019

March Slice of Life Challenge Day 25: Two Things I've Learned in Two Years of Slicing

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers



March Slice of Life Challenge Day 25: 
Two Things I've Learned in Two Years of Slicing



  1. Beth Moore's post is sticky in my mind. This year I have made a conscious effort to slice about small daily moments/story. Writing a daily small moment story has been challenging, as I always feel that I have nothing worthy to write and share. Who would want to read this, my mind always asks. Yet, writing small moments/stories nudged me to notice more and write about it. I am amazed at what I notice and decide to write about. It's kind of magical. Last week I came across this quote by Jhumpa Lahiri on a Writer's Digest Daily Calendar page, and it reminded me so much of slicing: "Stories come out of living, and looking, and reacting, and observing and thinking. I can't explain what the source is...That's the experience of being alive and trying to render it coherent somehow." 
  2. I have deeply appreciated the community of bloggers in the Two Writing Teachers Online Community. Although I hadn't blogged much prior to participating in my first Slice of Life Challenge last year, it was rare to receive a comment on one of my blog posts. I seldom left any comments on anyone else's in fear that I would do it wrong. I didn't realize how great it felt when someone visited your blog, read your writing, and actually said something about it. It's so encouraging, and I did not know what a strong impact that could make. This reminds me that an authentic audience and purpose is essential for the students I teach, but it also helps me as a teacher and writer. In addition, I have continuously felt welcomed and encouraged by other slicers. So many bloggers inspire me in how they craft their posts and in their ideas.   

2 comments:

  1. Two good lessons from the two years of slicing. I have this format bookmarked and I hope to use it before the challenge finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- you've highlighted two really important lessons for all of us. Beth's post has also stuck with me and I've tried to be more conscious of really zooming in on a moment. And yes- having a community who encourage and support makes such a difference. Thank you for reading and commenting on my posts. Your comments have inspired me on days when I feel completely stuck.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...