Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Tuesday Slice of Life: Three Things I Want More of Right Now

Looking to connect with a positive, supportive online community?  Consider sharing a slice of your life with Two Writing Teachers. All writers are welcome! 




Tuesday Slice of Life: 
Three Things I Want More Of Right Now

I wasn't going to post today. Lately, I have felt pretty meh, especially when it comes to my writing life. But then I read Elisabeth's post today, and it gave me just the nudge I needed to show up as a writer. 

Below is a list of three things I want more of right now: 

More patience. It's May. Many of my students (especially the seniors) do not want to be at school, expressing every opportunity possible to remind me of this. In general, my students are chattier with each other (about anything but the task at hand), skipping more classes, more bold about inappropriately using technology in the classroom, and not submitting assessments. 

More outdoor adventure. Last weekend I spend a lot of time with my daughter and her Girl Scout troop. We were outdoors most of the time, cooking as much as we could over an open fire, exploring our nearby local nature preserve's trails and pond, and learning how to whittle. I had forgotten how much better I felt after spending the day outdoors.

More meaningful conversations. Often I get lost in the mundane. You know. Those simple day-to-day interactions: "How's it going?" "Okay, what about you?" Quick, surface level conversations in between activities, passing time in the hallways or office, or even at the grocery store. I need more. I want time to engage in conversations with those I care the most about. These are the conversations that fuel me as an individual and help me to feel seen.  

What do you need more of right now? 


4 comments:

  1. I didn't post the last three weeks and struggled to do so today. "meh" perfectly describes how I've been feeling. I'm glad you showed up. It feels good, doesn't it? Now I'm off to go check out Elisabeth's post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read both Elisabeth's post and yours, and I really like the format! I may try it myself sometime in the near future. :-) ~JudyK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sass as someone w/ little time left to savor the mundane conversations w/ students and colleagues, I can say I’ll miss these quick encounters in the hall. Soon nature will open up to summer, and we’ll be wishing for cooler days. Maybe it’s human nature to want more...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Meh" is a good word. I like the format. I wish you more of what you need!

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...