Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Tuesday Slice of Life: Sequence

Looking to connect with a positive, supportive online community?  Consider sharing a slice of your life with Two Writing Teachers. All writers are welcome! 




Tuesday Slice of Life: 
Sequence

"Mom, wanna play Sequence with us?" Eleven-year-old Alaina inquired. 

"Of course! I'll go get it!" I quickly responded, my heart giddy that my children wanted to play a board game with me. With each other. 

It was the second day without power following a massive storm. Batteries had long died from Nintendo DS systems, iPads, etc. Power banks were reserved for keeping cell phones charged and cell phone usage strictly monitored. Dusk was falling; no one was ready for sleep yet. 

Using our Coleman Carabineer Lantern, I ventured into the unlit basement and eventually found our weathered garage sale treasure of Sequence buried among forgotten jigsaw puzzles and various board games. Sequence game in hand, I cautiously climbed up the stairs.

The three of us sat on our living room floor, not too far from our bay window - the brightest spot in our house on summer evenings. Thirteen-year-old Isaac propped up a flashlight so we could see our game board and playing cards. 

That night we played two rousing rounds of Sequence before we retired to sleep. I imagine our giggles and elevated tones could be heard from outside our dark house. 



We created our own light that evening. 

9 comments:

  1. We lost power a week ago and it was an enlightening experience for me too! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing power always puts so many things we take for granted into a healthier perspective, doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a time that will be a fond memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is always fun to break out the board games! I hope that they remember this fondly as well!

      Delete
  3. Love this slice! It brought back memories of playing Sorry on a night without power with my two on our bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by to read! I think that sometimes events like these are fantastic ways to bring families together!

      Delete
  4. "We created our own light that evening" - love this powerful line and the depth of warmth and meaning it holds. I am also chuckling over breaking out the board games when the power goes out because the younger of my two sons took it as a sign that we had to play Monopoly. He now looks back at those nights as "great." Hope your power is restored by now and that you've seen the last of these awful storms for a while - we've had some here as well. I welcome the break from the heat, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read this post! I love knowing that other families bring out board games too and think about it fondly!

      Yes, we have power again!

      Delete
  5. What a great memory that will be. Sequence by flashlight - creating your own light, indeed. I'm glad that you and your family were able to make the best of it & I hope that you didn't lose all your food!

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...