Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Slice of Life #20 Challenge Day 10/31: Bike Ride

Slice of Life #20 Challenge Day 10/31:
Bike Ride

"Mom! "Canwegoforabikerideplease?" 


My daughter had just arrived. She threw down her tote bag and violin in the middle of my kitchen floor. Her dad barely had the change to give her a goodbye hug.

The request for taking a bike ride together caught me off guard a bit. Typically, upon arriving to my house, my tween daughter immediately heads to holding her guinea pigs, hanging out with a neighbor friend, or I quickly lose her to You Tube videos. She rarely wants to be outside with me anymore. Lately, I have had to work for her attention. 

"Yes, we can go for a ride. It's a beautiful evening! But I think that we only have one helmet, so maybe just you can ride." I responded.

She dug into her tote bag and produced a black helmet with neon markings, "Nope! I brought my helmet from Dad's house! We can both ride! Can we go now?"

"Let's go!" I said and laced up my sneakers. 

We headed out to the garage. I put on my helmet and sat on my neglected Schwinn. 

My bike immediately flattened when I put my weight on it. Darn it! I could feel the rims on the garage floor. I wasn't riding this bike anywhere. 

"Uh oh, Alaina. I think that my bike has a flat tire." 

Her face fell.

"Don't you have a bike pump?" She asked.

"No, unfortunately not. It's another thing to add to my list to get the next time I get paid. Sorry, kiddo."

"Perhaps I can walk beside you as I ride?" I suggested.

"Yeah.. I guess."

She started out on her bike. She was smooth, fast, and looked so carefree. We got about a block. She had already circled me twice. Alaina was still way ahead of me; it would be a constant ride of her doubling back to stick with me. 

"Alaina, how about if I ran with you? Then I could keep up with you easier." 

"YES!" 

I returned to my house and dug out my running clothes and shoes from the Rubbermaid bin in my basement. I couldn't remember the last time I went running. It was at least since I had moved into my new place - nearly six months ago

By the time I had changed and returned outside, Alaina was decorating our driveway with chalk. Again, I was amazed that she still wanted to bike with me. She hadn't lost interest in taking the bike ride. 

I did a quick set of stretches in the driveway. We set off. Since I haven't run in a really long time, I alternated between running and walking. 

One block running. One block walking. Repeat.

As we moved throughout our neighborhood, she and I chatted about school, the weekend she had with her dad, and what she wanted to do this summer. Although I felt a bit winded at times, I loved every bit of this conversation. 

"I just LOVE riding my bike, Mom. Can we do this again soon?"

"Of course," I answered, knowing that a few sore muscles and the reminder of being out-of-shape was a small price to pay for this engaged time with my almost twelve-year-old daughter. 


6 years ago - Alaina riding her bike.
Per my daughter's request,
I am not allowed to post public photos of her very often anymore.
Although she's nearly 12 years old now, I still see my daughter as this five-year-old with training wheels... 


Looking to connect with a positive, supportive online community? 
Consider sharing a slice of yourlife with Two Writing Teachers. All writers are welcome! 

7 comments:

  1. Your slice squeezed my heart. I am so happy for you that the two of you spent lovely time together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your slice was such a sweet slice and your daughter really wanted you to spend time with her! It's hard to connect with our tweens and teens but perhaps you have found a way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carpe diem! You made the ride work, and I’m so impressed w/ how you managed it. Trina, you are an amazing mother. Don’t you ever doubt it or forget it. My heart is swelling from the love and dedication you have for your children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed too! Me and my kiddo would have both given up, convinced it was meant NOT to be! This was a really special slice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You rock! Thanks for sharing your awesome experiences with your child. Looking forward to running the Sole Burner together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello I am so delighted I located your blog, I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work. quality bikes for kids in singapore

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here. Thanks for sharing us a great information that is actually helpful. Good day! Lifeguard training near me

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...