Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Slice of Life #21 Challenge Day 2: Vaccinated!

"Got my vaccine!" My friend texted us in a small group chat. Another friend responded with the heart ❤️reaction in her text and replied, "yeah!" 

My brother recently posted a photo of the Band-Aid on his arm and a "I got the COVID-19 Vaccine" sticker on social media. His post was flooded with likes. 👍🏻

We've all been celebrating the recent availability of the COVID-19 Vaccine. Educators in our state were just approved to receive the vaccine. When it was my turn to schedule my immunization, I was elated. Acting on a tip from a friend/colleague, I was able to schedule an immunization at one of our local pharmacies. As soon as I confirmed my first immunization was scheduled, I shared my good fortune with my mom, my boyfriend, and my friends. That night I couldn't sleep. Who would have ever thought that I would be excited about a vaccine?

Last night I received my first Covid-19 vaccination. I was so nervous that I forgot my printed consent/insurance forms for receiving the immunization. My hands were shaky as I signed my name. I almost checked that I had received the shingles shot. (I hadn't.) The pharmacy technician, who must deal with people like me all of the time, was gracious and handed me new paperwork so I didn't miss my appointment. 

As I waited for my name to be called, I sat in the cold plastic chair at Walgreens, wrapped my feet around the metal legs, and nervously scrolled through my phone. 

"Trina?" 

I nearly jumped at the sound of my name. 

"Yes," my voice was barely audible.

I was brought back into a small vaccination booth and the pharmacist gently said, "this will be similar to a flu shot. Just relax." I pulled up my left sleeve, held out my arm, and looked away. 

After one deep breath, it was over. The injection didn't even hurt. 



Unfortunately, I didn't receive a cool sticker like my brother did, but I now have a bit more relief that I am a little closer to protecting myself against getting seriously ill from Covid-19. 

I am grateful. 


Looking to connect with a positive, supportive online community? Consider sharing a slice of your life with Two Writing Teachers. All writers are welcome! 

9 comments:

  1. This is such a hope-filled post. My parents, in India, got their vaccine today too. It is good news to see it happening, slowly but surely, everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by to read this post! Yay for your parents. That is fantastic news!

      Delete
  2. Hurray for the first vaccine shot! I got my first shot last Thursday. Celebrating together with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you were able to get your first vaccination, too! It is certainly something to celebrate!

      Delete
  3. Joining you in gratitude! I got my second shot a week ago. Taking a friend to get her first shot on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you for taking the time to read, Ramona! Your friend is fortunate that you are taking her to get her immunization.

      Delete
  4. It is amazing how getting one shot brings about such a great sense of relief. We felt the same almost giddiness when we got out first shot on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boyfriend? You have a boyfriend? Spill! And congratulations on getting the vaccine. Walgreens should pay you for using your arm as a mobile billboard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So grateful! I was surprised to find myself a bit teary-eyed when I got my vaccine.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...