Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Slice of Life #22: Happy 98th Birthday

On Tuesdays I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers. 


Slice of Life #22:
Happy 98th Birthday

"Hello?" 
 
"Happy Birthday, Grandma!" 

Last night I was delighted that my grandma picked up the phone so that I could wish her a happy birthday. At times, Grandma has a difficult day and she cannot quite figure out how to get her phone to work. She does not consistently remember how to check voicemail on her cell phone, so I would not have been able to get birthday greetings to her. (Grandma also has an Echo Show to help communicate. Sometimes she thinks that the Alexa voice is an operator "patching us through." I think that this is adorable.) 

Unfortunately, Grandma's Alzheimer's disease robs her of clarity. As usual, I reminded her that I was her granddaughter. Often I try to ask her about experiences from long ago. She seems to remember events from her childhood, time as a young adult, and from her marriage and when her children were small the most clearly. 

Yesterday was Grandma's 98th birthday. Yes friends, 98 years old! Since Grandma lives more than four hours away in an assisted living center, I was not able to visit her on her birthday. However, I visited her a few weeks ago with my kids.

A visit with Grandma at the end of March

Yesterday's conversation was a gift. I could almost hear Grandma smiling through the phone. 

As always, our conversation ended with these two phrases, "I love you and I am so proud of you!" These phrases always fill me with joy and deep gratitude. 


8 comments:

  1. What a gift! First for you that your grandma picked up and you got to hear your grandma's smile through the phone. It was also a gift to your grandma that your were so patient in reminding her who you were and listening to her old stories. You should consider recording her stories either audibly or in written form. They are the real treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 98- wow! This is a high age. I am happy you were able to call and talk to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Happy birthday to your grandmother! Touching conclusion to your conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to your grandmother! She's more tech savvy than I am if she's using Alexa and Echo Show. These tools are so perfect for aging folks. I'm thrilled you were able to chat w/ your grandmother on her birthday, especially given her medical challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful that you were able to celebrate in person a few weeks ago and from afar, on the phone, yesterday. 98 is a grand accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will hold those words in your heart, always! What a treasure to have her a phone call away - just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birtday, Grandma! What a wonderful gift to still have her in your life. And she looks pretty darn good for 98!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are lucky to have a grandma still living. I wish mine were. Thank you for sharing both the joy and some of the sorrow you feel with this situation.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...