Saturday, September 16, 2017

On Teaching Writers: A Shift in My Perspective

Several years ago I heard Katherine Bomer speak at our Wisconsin State Reading Association (WSRA) Convention. I’m embarrassed to share that at that time I had no idea who Katherine Bomer was, except that she spoke at educational presentations and wrote professional books. When I first heard Katherine speak I was mid-way through my first year as a literacy coach. Along with my colleagues, I was trying to figure out the shifts in the Common Core State Standards and what that looked like in secondary English Language Arts (ELA) classrooms.


In her presentation, Katherine made the claim that everything was an argument. She pointed out that writers always write to convey some sort of message. She challenged us to look for the message writers shared in their poetry and memoirs. We found argument in all of the writing samples, even though it was often implied. I was amazed at the sophistication of writing that Katherine presented from young writers. I remember leaving Katherine's presentation with a headache, thinking about argument and about writing in a way I had never considered before.


Katherine's presentation, especially hearing her statement that everything was an argument, nagged at me for some time. It made me feel uncomfortable. Now I realize that this uncomfortable feeling was one of the best things that happened to me as a teacher and as a literacy coach.

Before I began my position as a literacy coach I taught eighth grade ELA, and I taught students that writing fit into one of three categories: argument/opinion, informational, and narrative. I thought all writing fit neatly into one of those three categories. When we looked at examples of writing from "real life" I was often frustrated that I could not find writing that perfectly fit into argument or narrative or information. I didn't realize then that writers usually blend genres of writing and writing wasn't supposed to neatly fit into one category. I didn't consider that writing (except for essays in school) rarely fit into one category.

Katherine didn't just nudge me to think about the place of argument in writing. She helped me think about myself as a teacher of writers and inspired me to think about how I could teach writers in a more effective way.


Soon after I heard Katherine, I began my own inquiry of how I could be a more effective teacher of writers:
  • I began reading more professional books, especially by teachers who worked more at the elementary and early literacy levels. I read books by Katie Wood Ray and Ralph Fletcher and of course, Katherine Bomer.
  • I immersed myself in books written by professional writers like Anne Lamott and Natalie Goldberg.
  • I started investigating the possibility of using mentor texts and went through the process myself of emulating mentor text with students and teachers.
  • I participated in a writing institute through our local site of National Writing Project.
  • I began writing again, not just as an example for students or as a personal journal. Really writing and living as a writer. Noticing. Playing with ideas.


My perspective changed of what it meant to be a writer. My perspective changed of what it meant to be a teacher of writers.


Now I have students of my own again. Full time. I'm not teaching writers in the same way that I used to. In fact, last week I found myself sharing with my high school seniors the same message that Katherine Bomer shared with me: everything is an argument. I challenged my students to find the author’s argument in essays and poetry.


In an effort to get to know this year’s students better and to continue to establish writing routines, I invited each student to think and record their typical daily schedule. This was an activity that I tried at last summer’s Fox Valley Writing Project’s C3WP’s Advanced Writing Institute. Here is my schedule I shared with my seniors:


My typical day's schedule 




Next, I invited students to highlight or star areas that stood out to them or what they viewed as important.
My schedule with highlights 
And then, based on what students highlighted or starred, I invited them to generate a few claims about what their schedules revealed about them. Here are a few claims that I came up with based on my schedule:  

My claims 

Finally, I ended class that day with an invitation for students to select one claim to write about in a Quick Write. I wrote my Quick Write using the document camera in front of my students, emphasizing that Quick Writes are not about perfection or even really good writing. Quick Writes are a starting point for writers.

My Quick Write
As I look back to how I used to teach writing, I realize that I was not really teaching the writer. I was teaching writing to students that would only be helpful to them in a school setting. I used to require my students to write a narrative essay, an informational piece, and an argumentative essay, usually in the form of a mega research paper. I didn't model my own writing very much as a teacher. In fact, I did a lot more assigning than teaching. For the most part, my students didn't care about writing, and I didn't enjoy teaching this way either.


Now I'm working more to invite students to write about topics they are passionate about. I search for ideas to help my students write for real purposes and an authentic audience. I'm writing with my students and sharing my writing more than I ever have before.

I now see my students as teachers who I learn from.

I remain in awe of Katherine Bomer. I had the opportunity to hear her speak again this past February. This time I got to meet her and talk with her. I think she's a gifted writer, passionate speaker, and a genuinely kind and compassionate person. However, I am most grateful of how my initial discomfort from Katherine's words helped me grow as a teacher and as a writer. I cannot wait to learn more from her and other teachers who write. Above all, my approach to teaching writers has changed, as well as my journey as a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...