Thursday, October 19, 2017

Why I Write

Since I began the 2017-2018 academic school year, I am happy to report that I haven’t missed one day of writing. As I mentioned in this post, I began writing Morning Pages last summer. Often my Morning Pages are written just before I retire to bed, and they are often a reflection of my day of teaching or thinking about what I want students to make (through writing, thinking, or reading) the following day or in a long term project. I have altered my plans so many times after I have spent some time writing. Therefore, I am convinced that the act of writing has already made me a better teacher, more responsive to my students’ needs. I cannot help but wish that I had made more of an effort to make writing a daily practice years ago. This is just one of the reasons #WhyIWrite.


In honor of tomorrow’s celebration (National Day on Writing), I decided to share a poem I wrote in the summer of 2016, based on my writing beliefs. This poem hangs in my office at school - a daily reminder of what kind of a teacher of writers I aspire to be:


Writing Manifesto
You don’t get better at writing (or anything)
Without starting from a blank sheet.
Be prepared to mess up. Big.
Take risks. Especially when it’s uncomfortable and scary.
We all need that push.
Keep writing.
Keep a notebook nearby-in the car, next to your bed, tucked in your bag.
Record conversations that linger, the thoughts that refuse to leave.
Collect quotes. Make lists. Sketch. Lift lines.
Reread your work. Revise. Repeat.
Fifteen minutes a day can be all it takes -
Will you write one line?
Daily.
Keep writing.
Find out about yourself - where have you been? What’s next?
Create a record of your existence. (Yes, you matter!)
Notice your ordinary, yet
Capture the pivotal moments and
What doesn’t make sense.
Keep writing.
Steal like an artist-
Emulate from your favorite paperback mentors
Since the best mentors are often people you never meet in the flesh
Only through their words.
They can guide you
If you let them.
Study their craft.
Keep writing.
Reread your writing. To yourself. Out loud.
Listen to your own voice.
Revise.
One word. One line.
Revise.
Revise.
Share.  

Keep writing.

12 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I found my way to your blog through one of my tweets that you "liked" and I am so glad I did! When I find a new blogger, I have this thing about starting at their beginning and reading my way to their present. And I have to say, we have a lot in common. I connected with your life as a writer and the fear of sharing it publicly. There are so many wonderful writing communities out there and I would like to share some of them with you. First of all, I moderate a Twitter chat #TeacherWrite. It is a chat for teacher-writer, much like yourself. We tweet and share our writing lives, our fears, our challenges, our inspirations, and our successes. We chat the first Monday of the month and would love to have you join us.

    Two Writing teachers also has a Slice of Life link up on Tuesdays where people, mostly teachers, share a small slice of their lives. Then, in March they have the SOL challenge where we write every day for the month of March.

    Ruth Ayres has a Celebrate our Week link-up on Saturdays where we find a celebration, big or small, and write about it.

    I just wanted to reach out to you because I connected in so many ways with your blog posts. I hope you join us and share your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh Anne, thank you so much for your kind and generous words. They mean a lot - you have no idea! I am honored that you took the time to all of my posts. I also really appreciate the resources that you sent to me for teacher-writers! I have been following Two Writing Teachers and Ruth Ayres for a while now, but I just need to figure out how to link up (and the nerve to do it)!

      Delete
  2. Leigh Anne led me to your blog. I hope you will link this post to our TeachWriteChat blog here: https://teachwritechat.wordpress.com. I second the writing communities that Leigh Anne suggested. I've met and connected with so many teacher writers through blog link-ups. I'll add another one in the mix, Poetry Friday. Each Friday is hosted by a different poet-teacher-blogger. Leigh Anne is hosting this week. Check it out at http://adayinthelifeof19b.blogspot.com/2017/10/sifter-poetryfriday.html
    I followed you on Twitter. My handle is @MargaretGSimon. I look forward to more connections and more writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret! I was floored when I opened my email and read such positive and welcoming comments from you AND from Leigh Anne. Thank you so much! I didn't know about Poetry Friday so I will check it out. I also didn't know about TeachWriteChat either. Blogging is SO new to me (and somewhat intimidating to be writing blog posts)- I've been figuring it out most of it as I go. Thank you thank you for making my day brighter today!

      Delete
  3. Thank you!! I just picked up my journal again yesterday. I appreciate your poem as a reminder that yes, it does matter and it's okay if it doesn't seem like much of anything. It matters that we do the writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to hear that you found my writing to be helpful to you! Thank you so much for sharing this with me!

      Delete
  4. I love your writing manifesto, especially the 2nd stanza and your final two words, keep writing, at the end of each stanza. I found my writing community with Slice of Life at TWT, expanded it to include Celebrate This Week with Ruth Ayres, and sometimes I participate in Poetry Friday. I've struggled after retirement to keep writing because I no longer have the same focus for my posts, but I still have a need to find, create, notice, and capture. Thanks for the important reasons you provided in stanza three to keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramona, thank you so much for your lovely words of praise! I have been following Slice of Life for a while, but I suppose it is time for me to participate in it as well! It makes my heart feel happy that you were able to connect with my writing manifesto. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  5. Writing daily is an achievement. Not everyone is able to keep the habit. You have done it and this is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terje, thank you! I was not certain that I would be able to sustain daily writing - it isn't always easy and often I don't feel like I have the time, but I always feel better when I am done.

      Delete
  6. What an awesome poem! It is the perfect way to celebrate the Day on Writing. Thank you for sharing it!

    I am also one of the co-moderators of the #TeachWrite chat with Leigh Anne & Margaret (plus Michelle Haseltine). We would love to have you join us for our next chat on November 6th when we talk about the importance of STORY.

    I hear you live in Wisconsin. Where about? I live in the Kenosha area. :)

    Jennifer
    @laffinteach, @TeachWriteEDU

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jennifer! Thank you so much for reading my post and sharing your thoughts with me! I love it! I have never really participated in a Twitter chat before, but I will try to join you in November!

    Yes! I am from Wisconsin, from the Appleton Area! Do you go to the WSRA State Convention?

    Thanks again, Trina

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...