Tuesday, October 17, 2017

#Me Too


I opened Facebook tonight for the first time in several days and was flooded with a stream of posts including this message, personal stories of sexual harassment and assault, and #MeToo. Apparently, many of my friends and acquaintances share the experience of being sexually harassed or assaulted. (Seriously, I had no idea how many. It gives me a sense of how big and serious this problem is, especially when I think that these are all people whom I know in real life.) Although it made me sad to read so many stories and statements about sexual harassment and assault, I was proud of my brave friends who shared, and it compelled me to share a bit of my story.

Below is one part of my #MeToo story, written in a 50 word story format. Many 50 word stories that I’ve written before are fiction. This one is true:

She's seventeen: still trying to match the uneven seams of her childhood into adulthood.

He saunters in-drunk again. He paws her wrist, presses her close and shares explicit sexual desires. Nothing new.

She wilts.

“What an asshole - your boss.”
He’s suspended-two weeks sans pay. Yet, it is she who apologizes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...