Friday, March 2, 2018

Slice of Life 2018 Day 2: Generating Ideas

On the back cover of Kate Messner’s 59 Reasons to Write (Stenhouse, 2015), Messner writes, “In order to teach writing effectively, teachers must be writers themselves. They must experience the same uncertainty of starting a new draft and then struggling to revise. As they learn to move past the fear of failure, they discover the nervous rush and exhilaration of sharing work with an audience, just as their students do. Only by engaging in the real world of writing can teachers become part of the writing community they dream of creating for teachers.”

This is why I am blogging.

This is why I decided to participate in the Slice of Life #18 challenge.

Ultimately, I want to become a more effective teacher of writers.  

Based on my first official slice, I was ecstatic that six people commented on my blog post yesterday. Typically, I don’t have many readers and it’s encouraging to have someone actually take the time to read and respond to my writing. (My writing!) And yes, referenced in the quote from Kate Messner above, I experienced a bit of the nervous rush and exhilaration of sharing work with an audience.

Still, I am thinking about what I will share for the next month, and I am considering what I already have in my collection of resources to guide me. As I was scanning my bookshelf today, Kate’s 59 Reasons to Write practically fell on me. When I read this book last summer, I bookmarked her simple brainstorming chart from Chapter 2: Getting Started. This lesson reminded me that it’s often necessary to combine ideas in unexpected ways. Her chart emphasizes that an author can combine an idea from the first column with different settings or themes as a writing tool. Immediately, I began charting some ideas I could use for slices this month. I used these three categories: stuff I'm intrigued by, places, and genres/moods/themes. (Note: my categories are slightly different than the book.)

My simple brainstorming chart, adapted from 59 Reasons to Write
I’m certain that this chart will not be my only source of ideas for blog posts, but I’m thankful to have some seeds to play around with as I slice this month.

8 comments:

  1. Kate Messner is a treasure to teachers. I have her revision book, and my granddaughter fell in love w/ chapter books because of Marty McGuire.

    I think of the world as filled w/ writing topics ripe for the picking. I plucked several possibilities from my time w/ students today and a couple more from conversations w/ colleagues.

    It is discouraging when no one comments on a blog post. I’ve found myself disillusioned w/ blogging the past few months, so I try to remind myself why I blog, which is mostly to exercise my writing muscles and to make sense of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate to your feelings of disillusionment. Often I get this seed of self doubt saying that I don't have anything worth writing about. That is a seed of corruption. And even if you are only writing for yourself, those memories and thoughts need the opportunity to be captured or they are fleeting.

      Delete
    2. Glenda, this is my favorite line you left as a comment," I think the world as filled with writing topics ripe for the picking." That one I will write down! And I love how you shared that you write to make sense of the world...me too!

      Delete
    3. Jeremy, I am so luck to know you in person. Your comment is such an important one for me to remember. The seed of self doubt if often my biggest enemy!

      Delete
  2. Kate's book is one I don't have, and one I have thought about purchasing. I have heard it is full of ideas. I love your brainstorming chart. Many times when we make lists like that, ideas just come flowing! I'm glad you made it for day two! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered Kate's book last year. Last summer I participated (very loosely) in her writing challenge. I have used her book a few times, but I need to dig into it more!

      Delete
  3. One of the best things about the Slice Challenge--and at least half the reason I decided to do it again this year--is the community. So many writers are so generous with their comments. Comments do matter. Knowing someone is reading our words matters. I have found for myself that I tend to do those brainstorming lists and then never feel like writing about anything on the lists! Still, I can't stop making the lists. I look forward to seeing how your lists inspire you this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Community is everything, isn't it? Not only in writing, but in so many situations. Support of others keeps us coming back. Elisabeth, thank you for your support and comments! They matter so much to me!

      Delete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...