Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Slice of Life Tuesday: Daily Engagements through Quickwrites

Last Saturday morning I listened to The Quickwrite Handbook with Linda Rief and Penny Kittle, a podcast episode on Heinemann's Teacher PodcastsIn this podcast, extraordinary teacher-writer Penny Kittle shares an experience she had listening to legendary, beloved teacher-writer Linda Rief speak at a conference (twenty years ago!) when she initially heard about Quickwrites and the powerful effect Quickwrites could have, "... these carefully planned engagements, could unlock the voice and ideas that lead to confidence and an interest in writing..." Penny Kittle also comments that Quickwrites, "...not only leads students to find writing and not only pay attention to the moves of writers, but it establishes a routine where students collect what matters to them in a safe place where they are allowed to stumble, to wobble, to fall..." 

It made me stop to wonder why I did not use more Quickwrites in my daily writing. I have plenty of compelling texts all around me, but sometimes I forget to utilize them as a writing tool. Maybe writing with mentor texts would help me have less writing moments like these

As I sat down to write that day, I glanced at my library copy of Naomi Shihab Nye's Voices in the Air: Poems for ListenersI devoured her beautiful and powerful introduction. Thinking as a writer, I found so many worthy entry points from her work that I could emulate. To begin, I wrote a few powerful passages and recorded a quote she referenced from poet Galway Kinnell, "To me, poetry is someone standing up, so to speak, and saying, with as little concealment as possible, what is it for him or her to be on earth at this moment?"



This passage led me to ponder this question, What is it like for me to be on this earth right now? 

And then I wrote. 
And I wrote. 
And I wrote.

Here's a peek from my notebook writing that morning:

Coffee residue sticks to my teeth, tongue -
Brush me.
Wash away my grimy residue,
I yearn to feel clean.

Snuggling under my light weight hand-stitched quilt,
I am safely sheltered with
air-controlled temperature while
outside swells in heat,
barely a breeze for leaf sways.
I watch morning doves swoop for
sunflower seeds and
dogs saunter past
our bay window.

In silence I sit (mostly in silence) -
the hum of the nearby one-fish aquarium,
steady clock ticks,
air forced from vents -
stealing still moments before
children emerge -bedhead beauties-
and shatter
precious
quiet.

Writing with a compelling text beside me made a huge difference. The above writing wasn't profound or beautiful, but it got me writing and I kept going. As Penny referenced, I had the chance to play with words and ideas in a safe way in my notebook. In addition, it provided me with something worthy to consider. And since last Saturday, I have continued to dip into Voices in the Air as a source of daily writing engagement. 


Join me in writing a slice of your life and sharing it with the Two Writing Teachers Community. Everyone is welcome! 

12 comments:

  1. I loved your writing and have already added Voices in the Air to my Amazon shopping cart. Thanks for sharing the information about the podcast as well. Your writing will help me to grow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! This is such a wonderful compliment to receive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love poetry as a way to find a writing start. Nye has always been that for me. Read Honeybee by Nye. I love her. I've had students write off of "Kindness" and "Shoulders," too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Kindness" is one of my favorite poems. I will look for Honeybee! Thanks

      Delete
  4. I read with awe. What a wonderful poem grew out of the inspiration, and you crafted a marvellous reflective slice around it. From my point of view (even when including the 26th of June kind of days) you seem to be in a great place on your writing journey, accompanied with amazing mentors, and continuously filling your writing toolbox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment makes me teary. Thank you. Many thanks, Terje.

      Delete
  5. What bounty from your mentor text! What observation and detail. I love this and I echo the first comment - your exploration will help me grow. I have *never* done a quick write - time to try new things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amanda! Try a quick write for sure... I used it often with my students, but I think just having a text near by is comforting!

      Delete
  6. I have ordered the quick writes book but have not received it yet! Naomi has been an inspiration for me as well. I love the line "shatter precious quiet." Your guiding question is certainly one that could lead many writing ideas. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I could write SO much more about how I am in this world today...It is a questions that I continue to think about!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I loved using Linda Reif's book, 100 Quickwrites. So I am excited to see this new book. I love how you looked around you for a compelling text and then used it to inspire this slice. (I read Voices in the Air this spring and was privileged to hear Naomi Shihab Nye speak in May.) It's great to see how you focused on the sounds in your silence. And your phrase "behead beauties" had me smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have 100 Quickwrites and was not sure how this book would be different. The podcast made the difference for me! So jealous that you have hear Naomi speak in person!

      Delete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...