Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Slice of Life Tuesday: Caterpillar Curiosity

So far, this summer has been slower than most. Although I am still doing a lot of reading (personally and professionally), I am not as involved as I usually am in leading professional development for my school district. However, I am full of gratitude for what this slower pace has enabled me to notice, such as a seeing a caterpillar on a milkweed plant in our backyard and having the time to write about it and talk about it with my kids. 

Below is a poem I penned about the caterpillar I spotted in our backyard last week and how based on my daughter's passionate insistence, we rescued it. My children and I hope this caterpillar will achieve complete metamorphosis under our care so that we can release it back into the world. 

Caterpillar Curiosity
by Trina Haase

Watering flowers
I spy black, yellow, white stripes.
Caterpillar crawls.



"Look!" I bellow. "Come!"
Children gather at milkweed.
"We must rescue him!"


Our butterfly house 
emerges - protection from 
wild bird predators.

"Daily milkweed leaf.
Don't disturb or shake or pet. 
We must have patience."


Each day we observe
our caterpillar grow, climb.
Curiosity. 

This post was a little slice of my life this week. Join Two Writing Teachers and share a slice of your life. Everyone is welcome! 

8 comments:

  1. So fun to watch the world around us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I have recently realized that there are so many things that I miss when I don't do this!

      Delete
  2. Mmm... I'm rooting for you and your caterpillar. May the rescue lead to the metamorphosis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We had some last summer that turned into black gunk. Apparently that happens sometimes!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful poem. I love the tension you create w/ dialogue. And it’s good to have a relaxing summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I hope that it stays at a relaxing pace!

      Delete
  4. How wonderful that you are able to embrace the slower pace. Noticing the little things has value for writers. Your pictures and the poem made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terje! Noticing the little things has so much value! I need to remember this more often!

      Delete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...