Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Slice of Life Tuesday: Taking Flight

As I wrote about in my last post, we recently rescued a caterpillar from a milkweed leaf. Yesterday we had the honor to release a monarch butterfly in our backyard, and I decided to write about it using a 100 Word story:

Taking Flight
“Mom! The butterfly!”

Our caterpillar had emerged from the translucent chrysalis.

Still dangling by spindly legs from the shell, the monarch moved one wing. Then the other.

All afternoon we observed, enamored as she tentatively explored her surroundings.

I recalled butterfly release directions: take outside; gently reach in cage and allow butterfly to latch on; and slowly release. My ten-year-old volunteered. Mesmerized, I watched her somehow invite the butterfly to ride on her index finger.

“See if she will land on your nose!” My brave girl did. The butterfly lingered, insect legs gently grasping her skin before she flew away.


*********

These are simple moments that will remain with me long past the sweltering days of summer.

Join Two Writing Teachers and share a slice of your life! Everyone is welcome!

10 comments:

  1. This is absolute awesomeness. Your daughter with the monarch on her face, priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are magnificent photos you captured, Trina! What a treasure they will be for you and your daughter in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacey! I already adore these shots!

      Delete
  3. Amazing! What a great experience! So glad you captured this in words and photos so that we could experience it with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amanda! It was fun to photograph and write about... there may be more!

      Delete
  4. I’ve loved seeing your nature adventures w/ your children this summer. You’re instilling an important ecological mindset in them while their natural curiosity leads them to learn and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Glenda! I have had a lot of fun exploring nature as well. I continue to be in awe of all we have noticed so far - right under our noses!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I'm so glad I caught this lovely post. What a wonderful happening to be a part of. And your brave girl, you capture her precisely yet gently,like the insect legs on your daughter's nose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherri! It was so much fun to watch! We already have new caterpillars forming a chrysalis!

      Delete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...