Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Slice of Life Tuesday: Writing Group Wonderings

Recently, a local artist (and former student), asked me to consider submitting a piece of writing for an upcoming art show in support of women's issues. Of course I was honored, thanked her, and I assured her that I would immediately begin working on a piece.

Then I privately panicked.

Me sharing my writing with a larger, public audience? Aye. Just the thought fills me with so much angst. Yes, that's me, the English/Reading teacher who is always encouraging her students to submit writing for publication. 

What a hypocrite. 

Each time I have carved out some time to work on a piece for this show I get stuck. Here are a few questions that have rolled through my brain:

  • What is worth writing about? 
  • Once I figure out my topic, which details do I include? Which details do I omit? 
  • How will I craft my work in such a way that is compelling? 
  • What form should I write in? A poem? An essay? 

This weekend I found myself combing through past writer's notebooks. I culled my favorite lines and topics. I made lists. I created Heart Maps. I wrote Haiku. I even turned to works from my favorite writers for inspiration. No luck. 

Finally, I reached out to a far away writerly friend for some advice. She inquired if I belonged to a writing group and shared that she would be lost without her writing group. 

Hmm. A writing group might give me suggestions, help me get unstuck, and at least help me silence some of those self-defeating voices in my mind. If I had a community of writers, I might hold myself more accountable to writing and publishing. A community of writers might provide me with feedback. A community of writers might provide me with more inspiration. A community of writers may be working through some of the same struggles about writing that I am. 

On Sunday night I finally decided on a topic to write about for submission to the local art show - my unhealthy body image and how I fear that I have passed this on to my daughter.

Now that I have determined my topic, I have some serious writing work ahead of me. 

In the meantime, I am wondering about writing groups. To my writing friends, do you belong in a writing group? If so, how often do you meet? For how long? What does it look like? Sound like? Has being in a writing group helped you as a writer? What smart suggestions do you have for me? 

Thank you in advance for any insights! 

Join Two Writing Teachers and share your own Slice of Life. All writers are welcome! 

7 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the on line critique group that I belong to. We are all so different and have so much fun weekly weighing in. We get letters and suggestions for our work once a month. Another I do is in person...a little harder for me who has some thin skin sometimes. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reflection has shown you a way to support your writing journey. I hope you find the right writing group for yourself. I also wish that you will feel joy when your text is published.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love being part of a writing community, and have been part of groups on and off for years. A group does hold you responsible more than a community, and especially a critique partner if you can find someone who's compatable with you as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on finding your compelling topic. I've been in writing groups before and the key to their benefit is a clear vision of what the group is about - is it to celebrate writing, or to do so with supporting, solid feedback? Depending on the size of the group, there will have to be some limits on how much to try and cover in a sitting, unless you decide to have workshops day with each other. You may attend a few different groups before one feels like a good fit. There may also be groups or associations of freelance writers in or near your area - these may be worth tracking down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you tune in to the #Teachwrite chat last night on Twitter. The topic of writing fears was so timely for your post.
    I have two writing groups and find different strengths about each one. Writing partners are important people so you should be discerning about who you choose. Our writing fears make us so fragile that having a supportive person or group is very important. Good luck on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only been in a writing group once, and that was an online deal that was part of a project someone was doing for a class, I think. It wasn't a good experience. I do hope to join a writing group in retirement and know their are local groups. I wish I'd found one years ago.

    I think it's natural for English teaches to be hesitant about sharing our writing. We're the folks others think have this writing thing figured out, which, of course, we do not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Glenda's remark about why it's tough for English teachers to share our writing. Wishing you luck as you look into a writing group. I hope you'll share the piece you write with us.

    ReplyDelete

Slice of Life Challenge #23: Day 31/31: March Coffee Date

F or the month of March, each day I am writing and posting  a slice of my life , hosted by  Two Writing Teachers .  Slice of Life Challenge ...